Guy flies quad into fireworks show

Started by thehaze, July 06, 2014, 09:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI

Kind of cool

Saw a multirotor flying around the Aurora Canada fireworks show, but he never got this close.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Papa

No wonder the FAA are thinking of a total ban. People will just get more stupid. Since little or no training is required and even less skill dumb things will happen. Apologies to Oscar and Eddie and Glenn and anyone else who has a quad and acts intelligently with them.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

I know everyone is concerned about the safe flying of these things and the harm some people's flying practices may be causing to the reputation of our hobby, but...

The images they capture sure are impressive.  Especially this one.  Very cool!

Bobmic

Andy Hoffer

I wonder what happens when one of the rocket components of a fireworks mortar scores a direct hit on the quadcopter.  Some segments of the video appear to show tracers coming directly at the camera.

Andy

thehaze

I suppose it wouldn't work out well for the quad.

I don't think this was a big safety issue. The show was over water, so if the quad went down, I doubt anyone would be in the line of fire.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Andy Hoffer

Agree.  And certainly as least as safe as some of those rogue quads we saw on Sunday!!  ;D

Andy

eddiecj

I wouldn't sound the alarm too much regarding the safety of this act, these fireworks happen well over water within a large area that's secured from boats, if anything the biggest risk was to the quad itself which for footage like this, I would gladly risk, it is spectacular! Nothing short!.

Flying over crowds, no, near full size aircraft, no, in downtown core NO! Other than that, if we get too anal to the point where we cannot make a calculated risk, then we might as well all put our planes, quads, and boats away, because someone can pop their head up out of the water and get smoked by an RC boat, bet it's happened!. And it will only be a matter of time before a plane from TEMAC ends up on Stouffville rd, should transport Canada shut the club down then? NO! But all it takes is some old geezer at TC that thinks were grown men playing with toys to sign a paper, and end a club, let's not be like him and pass judgement quickly.

One thing we never think of when judging someone's act such as this, is the "I love it,it's incredible! I didn't do it though, so he's an unsafe fool" factor
If there's any place to do something crazy with a quad to get incredible footage it is here! Out over open water, where your quad will likely be the only victim of an accident. So we can pick and poke at this guy all we want, but in the end he's risked his quad for footage that we all marvel at now because it truly is awesome! as for the FAA, no doubt they will find something wrong with this, being humans they will no doubt suffer from the "factor" above and further cripple a hobby with endless potential for providing visual beauty from many around the world.

Having said that, don't risk others safety, but risk your own quad for footage like this? a resounding yes!.