What are you planning to put on the workbench this fall

Started by Gregor77, August 28, 2014, 11:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

I have a 40 sized Segull Spacewalker new in box that I am going to convert to electric. I have a new PZ Spit that I intend to weather. I have and Aquilla Sailplane that I believe won the 1979 Nats that I am going to electirfy. Also thinking of one of those Freewind Mosquitos. My father was an observer on them in WW2 and I have always loved the way they look. Anybody know where I can get a copy of 633 squadron?
What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

flying IT

I still have the c-170 to do.
I was have seen that alot of people have gotten guillows  cessna 150 converted to electric and flying nicely.
I am still looking to find a nice Harvard

Wingnutz

Quote from: octagon on August 29, 2014, 03:33:06 PM
I have a 40 sized Segull Spacewalker new in box that I am going to convert to electric. I have a new PZ Spit that I intend to weather. I have and Aquilla Sailplane that I believe won the 1979 Nats that I am going to electirfy. Also thinking of one of those Freewind Mosquitos. My father was an observer on them in WW2 and I have always loved the way they look. Anybody know where I can get a copy of 633 squadron?
Rob,
Dunno if something so mundane as a book about Mosquitoes would interest you but I have a copy of "Terror in the Starboard  Seat",  true story written by a Canadian Mosquito navigator/observer who flew over 40 intruder missions with a Jewish American RAF pilot hell bent on using his Mossie to singlehandedly destroy the Third Reich.
On the winter bench;
ARFs
Graupner HE-111
Lander 90mm T-33 in Canadian colours
Kits
Traplet Avro Anson
Balsa USA 1/3 Morane Saulnier
Skywriter
Scratches
Piaggio P-180 Avanti
Avro Arrow
The chances of me completing all the above by spring are nil but I can dream.

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Crazyflyer

I will try my hand at a custom designed canard based plane (something I sketched up a few years ago). A bit of a crazy idea for an RC newbie but I am up for the challenge.
I am most concerned with figuring out a good CG since it won't be close to the main spar.

And will build a "Piker" racer.

Ededge2002

My winter build goals are to finish the Skeater E conversion and buy/build couple moulded hot rods. One a "speed 400" sized racer that is undecided and the other a replacement X-Plane with a different prop setup returning it to the hotliner style. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Madman

Quote from: shagens on August 31, 2014, 03:54:31 AM
I will try my hand at a custom designed canard based plane (something I sketched up a few years ago). A bit of a crazy idea for an RC newbie but I am up for the challenge.
I am most concerned with figuring out a good CG since it won't be close to the main spar.

And will build a "Piker" racer.

Get a hold of a copy of Andy Lennon's book on model aircraft design. Very good without going into too much detailed calulations.

R/C Model Airplane Design - How to Design R/C Model Aircraft, Including Airfoils, Aerodynamics, Structures, Control Systems, Various Configurations and More

A G Lennon

ISBN 10: 0903676141 ⁄ISBN 13: 9780903676144

I disagree with a few of his points but it is a great starting point for your own design.

Stephen

try abebooks, ebay, amazon, etc.

Skyking

Actually, I can.

Frank v B

How about some repairs first:

Nooner- split the fuselage in half today (it folded double behind the wing saddle) and it spit out the motor (found 75' ahead of the plane).  Fuse is almost repaired already use carbon tow, carbon veil and fibreglass.  The wing was fine because the nylon bolt sheared off.  Nice bolt! :D

F-27- crashed it at TEMAC and have stripped it.  It does not want me to fly it.  The two motors (28mm out runners) are being transplanted to two other projects.  The plane parts can make at least 3 AGM trophies.

Chili-Breeze- buried it about a foot into the ground .  The prop, EF-1 motor and 3,000 may battery were buried below the runway surface.  One glitch on a high speed pass at 10 foot altitude and before you could say WTF it was buried.  Yes, Patches... I patched the runway immediately with Greg H.'s help.  Fuse is fine behind the wing and one wing half is half gone (a quarter of the entire wing).

P-51 Mustang E-Flite- buried it on turn 4 at the TEMAC Funfly.  It pancaked into Terra Very Firma.  It will fly again.

New projects
- indoor Cessna (Guillows) e-conversion for the Dome Fly
- Navigator by Ken Willard.  Ken Rawlins was kind enough to make a copy of the plans for me.  He showed his at a Pilot's Meeting and flew it earlier this year.
- 1m Rifle- on order and due in the second week of September.
- Skywriter from the build class.
- Pylon racer.  Probably the Morphine.
- anything that falls into my hands at the London swap meet.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

We all know that plans need to be fluid, to adapt to the complexities of life.....

I now have an HET Me-163 to build, like Glenn's and the HobbyKing EPP Eagle, for some winter bird action!

Also hoping to have a Hangar 9 Blue Nose join my fleet!

Gregor77

My work bench might be a little less crowded...

I am still hoping to do the eindecker, H9 BF and the P47D-1.  Seeking a B25 next weekend.

octagon

I have a few projects this winter. I have a Spacewalker 2 from Seagull that I want to convert to electric. I have an old airtronics aquilla sailplane, that I will electrify. It will be quite a job but it was a great flying plane the last time I flew it about 25 years ago or so. I am seriously thinking of getting one of the eflite P51s, and redoing it in Canadian colours from the 50s when the RCAF had them. I was thinking I might build a small little scratch built indoor flyer. After the demise of my Pitts, I have a spare micro reciever and 4 micro servos. I also plan to weather and detail the warbirds I have.
What could possibly go wrong?