ROGO field suggestions for 2015

Started by frajolex, October 02, 2014, 11:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajolex

Hi all,

I would like to suggest a few things for next year...

1 - Fire Extinguisher
I've seen some posts here related to Lipo fire after a crash, Lipo getting on flames while charging.... I wonder if TEMAC can't "donate" one fire extinguisher to the field.... I think this is important to make sure we can minimize the damage. Imagine a crash right over the runway.... and the plane melting on a fireball... this could be a disaster.

I know there are challenges (i.e. no one is there at night, so someone can steal it), but I wonder if we can simply lock it to a pole and hide the key (make the key location available to the members).

2 - Runway marks
It would be really, really nice to have Runway marks (heading and center lines) that would make our field even more attractive

3 - Runway lights (Oscar is going to love this one)

Ok, this is funny. But I would LOVE to fly at night at ROGO. I think we can use LED lights to mark the runway and wire it to the frequency pole. Whoever wants to fly at night, brings his own battery (12V should work fine) to light up the runway. That would be really, really COOOOL!!  8)

Andre Albuquerque

Be careful... it's always too close, no matter how far...

Oscar

frajolex

Andre Albuquerque

sihinch

Wow, great ideas Guys! Keep them coming.

Fire safety is definitely something we need to think about. Good suggestion.

As always with a not-for-profit organization we need to consider the cost/benefit of all expenditure. Especially the range of members something will benefit. So we may not be able to do everything.

But I'm sure Graham will love this input for his new role when planning 2015 work!

octagon

Locking up the fire extinguisher could be problematic, in that if the key goes missing or cannot be found by whoever is there, it would be of no use. What about painting one of the tables red and then attaching the extinguisher to the bottom of the table, out of sight , but easily accessible. Also keeps it out of the weather. The sides of the table could be extended if the current are not deep enough to hide it.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

When TEMAC was started, I donated and installed a fire extinguisher, and installed it properly on one of the then tables.

It went missing within days.

Michael

frajolex

I understand that items can go "missing" (avoiding "stealing" word), what about adding some dumb cameras to the field + some signs?

This might keep bad people away from our field.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FAKE-SECURITY-SURVEILLANCE-DOME-CAMERA-SIGN-STICKER-LOT-/120553385966?pt=US_Dummy_Cameras&hash=item1c118aafee
Andre Albuquerque

sihinch

Keeping all the "bad people" away from our field may reduce our membership!!! Lol

We are working on some storage solutions that, although they may not be suitable for fire equipment, may allow us to store some club equipment at the field.

For fires I think we also tried a bucket of sand at one time, no?

Crazyflyer

From what I understand sand is the the only means of extinguishing LiPo's or at least keep them from burning everything around it. So I would think bringing back the sand bucket would be a good idea and they are unlikely to get stolen... unless by someone who has a kid and wants a sand pit in their backyard  ;D

Although I carry a first aid kit in my car, with so many rotating knifes that we call props, it may be good to have a dedicated First Aid Kit on site, but again a major issue is to keep it replenished and clean.

Just food for thought.

fearless

I agree it would be great to have a storage bin at the field, also some bug zappers.

Not sure this is even possible but it would be great if we could have the field extend 100ft south and give back 100ft we have at the north, that way the power lines and road wouldn't be such an issue.

sihinch

Papa

Regarding the extra 100' to the South, the Board did consider that when we made the first addition three years ago. The problem is drainage. That part is very low and the farmer is considering putting drainage in. However our parking lot that would be at the South end would be unusable for longer because it is so soft. Even where we are now we had a Port-a-Potty truck bog down and then the tow truck bogged down and finally a larger truck had to winch them both out. And that was late August.

Our runway was rutted and we had a terrible job filling in the ruts and growing grass. We are about as far South as we can safely go without major drainage operations.

The Hydro wires can be avoided just don't fly near them.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

frajolex

@sihinch ,  some massage chairs, gazebos, and of course, a computer loaded with RealFlight 7 or Poenix 5 8)
Andre Albuquerque

Oscar

How about a solar charging station?

Papa

We looked at them and they are very expensive and easily purloined.

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"