Why I hate 2.4!!

Started by Frank v B, May 07, 2015, 06:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Last night at student night I realized why I hate 2.4

Had 4 scary flights with trainer planes/maidens last night.  Al four planes were significantly out of trim and had to individually adjust the trims with about 12 clicks on each plane.  Two planes would fly straight with full deflection aileron until the trims were brought in line.
With my beloved 72 meg radios you slam the trim lever over and it is done.  No need for the anal 12 click trim adjustments.

On top of that, flying my 100" Spirit on 72 meg was a joy by turning it with the trim levers only to find thermals.  The greater the stick movement the worse the glide.  Flying by trim levers is minimum deflection at all times.

I am ripping my 2.4 out of my Skywriter for this Saturday's maiden flight.  With 72 it will be much easier to trim for level flight.  Then I will install the 2.4 to match the deflection of my 72 meg radio.

Cliff can keep calling me an 8 track flyer.  ;)   Jack can continue to ask if I am going fishing with my radio antenna  8) but I am maidening all my airplanes on 72 meg from now on.

It does not matter what language a transmitter speaks as long as the receiver understands it is fine with me.  The only negative is that it has trim alzheimer because it does not remember the tim settings.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

I hear you Frank. However some of the fancy modern 2.4 radios allow you to hold the aircraft straight and level with the sticks and then flick a switch and it automatically holds the trims there. No clicking 12 times of any trim switch!

pmackenzie

Digital trims were around long before 2.4 :)
They are extremely handy. I can pull a model down that has not been flown in a couple of years and it will be in perfect trim.
And they also allow for things like flight mode specific trims - essential for gliders.

Pat MacKenzie

Papa

Don't let him bother you guys. He's just a little slow to take on the more modern advances. Anything 25 years old or younger is a little too flash for him.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

the giant

When the time comes to test fly my spitfire (or any new airplane) i like to have a "trim man" to make the adjustments while i keep the airplane flying. 

Michael

Quote from: the giant on May 08, 2015, 10:12:22 AM
When the time comes to test fly my spitfire (or any new airplane) i like to have a "trim man" to make the adjustments while i keep the airplane flying.

I'm not exactly a 'trim man', but I'd be happy to help.  ;D
Michael