Retracts, or no-retracts, that is the question!

Started by sihinch, September 17, 2015, 01:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For Rogo-field, would you buy an EDF with retracts or without

Yes, use retracts
No, save weight and handlaunch

sihinch

I am looking at my next EDF.  I know what aircraft I want, and surprise, surprise it is a military jet.  I think we can all agree that EDF jets look better when flying without undercarriage hanging down.  But which is better - retracts or hand launch.

I can think of pros and cons of both.  The biggest for me are:

Retracts - Pro: allows you to do scale take off and landing. Con: adds weight and retracts often get bent or fail. They are tempermental.

Hand launch - Pro: less cost, less complexity and less weight. Con: risks damage to underside (which can include risk of foreign object damage to fans) and can't take off again.

So, help me with this poll.  If you were buying a new jet, would you chose retracts, or hand-launch?  ???

piker

I would go with retracts and look for a way to make them reliable and as light as possible (they should see less loading with the paved runway).  Retracts on jets are just so cool and one of the main reasons we put down the runway.

I know... I'm not a jet jockey, but when I get into the game it'll be with retracts  ;D

sihinch

Quote from: piker on September 17, 2015, 02:03:34 PM
I would go with retracts and look for a way to make them reliable and as light as possible (they should see less loading with the paved runway).  Retracts on jets are just so cool and one of the main reasons we put down the runway.

I know... I'm not a jet jockey, but when I get into the game it'll be with retracts  ;D

Thanks - did you vote?

battlestu

if it is what i think it is ..... you need to add those retracts :)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

Wingnutz

Before we had a runway, EDFs on retracts were dicey at best, hand launching was anything but a sure bet (especially with 4lb+ EDF models) and bungee launching was a serious contender for EDF launch king. Anyone else besides Jeff, Glenn and I still bungee launch their EDFs?
Still works for me!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Wingnutz

Okay, so maybe the poll could include bungee launching?
With heavy EDF models or those with high wing loading, bungee launching is often the safest choice.  With 90mm EDFs I'm not sure hand launch is really viable at all.

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

It's more about landing for me Bill. The damage that can be caused to intakes and fans if you have not retracts vs the damage done to retracts by bad landings.

I don't worry about launching....

Oscar

First time I saw a bungee launcher was from Glenn. Its so cool. But I like retract better

bweaver

I vote for retracts.  Take offs look better as well as flying without exposed landing gear.  Landing on wheels as previously mentioned would protect the EDF intake from crud collected during the skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid that could damage the fan.

Bruce

sihinch

Thanks for voting! It was unanimous.

I went for retracts!