2020-2021 TEMAC board Reviews / Summaries

Started by Michael, November 11, 2021, 06:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

This thread is dedicated to / reserved for reviews of the 2020-2021 TEMAC board.

All other members, please wait for all 4 reviews to be posted before posting additional comments or questions.

Reviews will be from:
President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer, and Special Events Coordinator.
Michael

Michael

President's review for January 2020 to December 2021.

This 2-year term as President has been far different than anything I have experienced in my 18 years of board participation at TEMAC. In March 2020 we were all affected by the COVID pandemic. Activities at the field were initially canceled as we all had no idea what was to come. We've had no funflys or club barbecues (although I am aware that our 'morning Crew' has had some informal barbecues in 2021). Thanks to actions started by Rob Dickinson, our Special Events Coordinator, and with the help and guidance of Stouffville business and law enforcement, we opened the field to flying in late Spring 2020. There have been challenges with varying COVID restrictions since then, but things have improved, especially be mid-2021.

So far, our lease for the property stands, the grass has been cut regularly, gravel has been added to the driveway, and a new, higher-quality runway has been installed.

I will admit, that there have been problems and issues between a few members and me, and some of the problems were not handled with as much finesse as I should have exercised. These issues, all sorted out now, were almost entirely related to decisions and actions board members have taken with regard to COVID restrictions.

Whatever problems and issues were faced, I have always considered my main objective as president of the club, to maintain a safe and good quality place for our members to have fun flying model airplanes. Despite the obstacles of one of the most intense and challenging terms I have experienced, I still regard this as a very successful two years, with many members flying more often. In fact, for the first time that I can remember, the 2020-2021 winter saw flying activity at TEMAC throughout the season.

I want to thank the board for their dedication to the club: Athol's work as secretary-treasurer as been superb, Dave has done a fantastic job of preserving the function-ability of the field, and Rob did a great service to all of us by laying the groundwork to reopen the club during the pandemic. I also want to thank Frank Van Beuren for being our Chief Flight Instructor, and for 2 seasons of challenging and creative training during these times. I know Frank's infectious smile and incredibly positive attitude is a big part of TEMAC's success.

I also want to thank all the great flyers in the club, who I watch, and from whom I continue to learn flying techniques, especially landings!

Michael Rogozinsky
TEMAC #1
Current TEMAC President
Michael

octagon

Events co-ordinator's review January 2020 to December2021,

When I was nominated and accepted the role of events co-ordinator in the late fall of 2019 I looked forward to 2020 with excitement and anticipation of organizing fun and interesting events for the next year. Then the world went sideways and then stopped. It was not clear at first, whether Rogo could be open, so I consulted with the rest of the board and got in touch with Bylaw Stouffville. Michael and I met with one of their officers at Rogo, and explained how we intended to fly, if allowed. They eventually said that if we maintained the guidelines we had suggested we could open. We had to bring our own tables and chairs and of course social distance, the toilet had to stay closed, and we could not run any events, but they said we were good to fly if we abided by all that.  Although the only event I had a chance to help organize was the Presidents end of season pizza party, that went off pretty well, with I think about 35 people attending, new pilots getting their wings, and everyone enjoying friendship (and pizza). If I am event's co-ordinator next year I look forward to getting back to the events we have had in the past, and perhaps at least one other.
Thank you all for making Temac the best club I have ever been associated with.

Rob

MAAC # 12123

What could possibly go wrong?

Athol

Biennial Financial & Secretarial Report (2020 to 2021)
Date: 12th Nobember 2021

As you are aware, I took over the role of TEMAC Secretary/Treasurer after the AGM in December 2019 and continued in this role until 14th May 2021. I then resigned my position from the Board/Executive.

In a conversation with Michael (President) after my resignation, I agreed to continue in the role of Acting Treasurer until the AGM this coming December 2021.

In the role of Secretary, we need to continuously verify MAAC membership using the MAAC Web Site Interface with permissions to view the Club on their site. The Secretary also has permission to purchase on behalf of the club, various MAAC items like Pilot and Instructor Pins.
Of course, there is also requirement to take Minutes of Meetings, of which there was only the Online Zoom AGM and Minutes of the Meeting Recording were posted.

The Treasurer's role required (requires) more work in as much as Membership Fees are received and Invoices and Membership Cards have to be processed, prepared and emailed out.

Financially, the Club is in good shape. Our major expense this (2021) year was the new Runway Surface which cost us $10,511.62. On my recommendation, a more durable (heavier mesh) material was selected and laid down. The weekly Field Maintenance (grass cutting) of $500.00 per month was carried out from May to September. The total for the 2 years was $5,600.00
At the time of writing this report (12th November 2021) the balance in the bank account was $12,049.11.

There were no events scheduled beyond the Pilot Wings Awards and the costs associated were born by the proceeds of the sale of equipment
left by Alex Shao and retrieved by Frank and Andy Hoffer. Frank was the driver of the online sale/auction.
Mark Satin has been nominated by me for the Role of Secretary-Treasurer and I have agreed to help in the transition of this process to make it as easy and as smooth as possible.

My further activities were with the TEMAC Morning Crew, the (mostly) retired members of the club, who fly in the mornings, anytime from 8.00am until 1.00pm whenever the weather was good. All members of the Morning Crew are fully vaccinated and we arranged for about 5 Hot Dog Barbeques for the guys. Each participant at the BBQ's contributed to the costs as required. We use the club's smaller propane BBQ and I brought another that is now housed in the shed. We also purchased a couple of propane tanks that are also in the shed.

In conclusion, I would like to see that vaccination status for those members that have chosen not to be vaccinated be communicated to the membership and are kept separated from the members that are fully vaccinated.

I have managed the TEMAC finances accurately and would be proud to have the accounts audited if required. The new Treasurer who will take over from me should look forward to an easy and seamless transition.

Athol Cohen
Acting Treasurer.

davidk

VP Review January 2020 to December 2021

It's been a fun 2 years as VP of a very vibrant, active RC club.  Thanks to all our members for continued support and assistance.  Watching you guys take-off, fly, and land with such a great variety of models has increased my enjoyment (and my fleet) of this hobby and I think has contributed a bit to my own skills.  As I watch these beautiful models against a blue sky I always think the same thing... this is too much fun.

The big change for this past year was the new runway.  I'm very happy to report that it is extremely tear resistant.  Lots of prop strikes but only one or 2 small tears... it's tough stuff.  It cost more and the expense of installation was higher than expected but it's a good runway and we'll try to keep it in good shape.  Plans for the spring include renting a motorized roller for getting the runway as flat as we can as well as taking down the edges a bit.  My skills at landing on the runway and not going over the ends have improved considerably as I got a bit tired of retract repairs.  Thanks goes out to so many members who helped in getting the runway done through suggestions and support and specially to Alex who helped find the installation company, Glenn and Oscar for their continued support and guidance, and Lauralee at Nilex for providing fabric choices and helping us decide upon the best material for our runway.

We continue to add gravel to our driveway and I'd like to see a double or triple load in the spring to bring those potholes and bumps into line.  We've managed to take the sting away from any road-gang work by "slinging" gravel directly from the truck into needed areas.  Plans for next spring include a sprucing up of the tables with new fabric and painting where needed.

The grass cutting was handled wonderfully by Brian.  Showing up at the field on a Friday afternoon and seeing the place so neat and tidy is always a highlight of my week... and it smells great.  I'm wondering if we should extend next year's grass cutting to include part of November.  The grass is very long right now and it does currently act as an excellent brake so I'm torn between letting it grow or extending the cutting season.  What do you think?

There are a few of us who always end our flying day with a bit of a sit-down while we watch a few flights and it's always a joy.

Cheers,

David Kates, TEMAC VP

sihinch

Thank you ALL for steering our club for another term and for making it such a great place to spend time.  (And for making it better for jets with small wheels!)  ;D

Big shout out to Frank and the Training crew, also.   :D  I wanted to get out more this summer but ironically, working from home made it more difficult to be at the field at a reasonable time.   :o So I'm sorry I missed this season of training!

msatin

Now that all 4 Board member reviews are in, I would like to add my thanks to them for making this an excellent season, even under the difficult circumstances.
TEMAC continues to be a great place, and club to be a member.
It was alsofun to watch Frank and the rest of the instructors help the students progress and obtain their wings.
I'm already looking forward to next season  ;D
You never fail until you stop trying