First Successful Flight

Started by Warthog, July 28, 2005, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warthog

After a series of "unsuccessful experiences" at the TEMAC Field since last year, I was grounded by wind yesterday (Wednesday) however picked up a lot of pointers from closely observing Andre & his student pilot.

Today (Thursday) I arrived late afternoon, straight from work. The windsock was nearly straight out, so I took a nap in the car for an hour. Several others were flying faster aircraft with good penetration.

The wind dropped and Rick Ramsaran stood by and assisted me. Michael, your GWS 380 Tiger Moth finally had several successful flights.

The glitching problems that I had experienced in the highschool gym (FEATHER receiver) did not show up. I had purchased several new nicad packs and they provided adequate power for handlaunches. Climbout was modest but circuits were done and there was sufficient power to fight back into the wind. I managed to stay east of the flightline. She is a joy to land, virtually hovering into the wind, then dropping the last 6" of altitude when the throttle is cut.

Only one flight ended off-runway; being genetically the son of a farmer, I was able to carefully pick my way thru the soybean plants so as to not damage any, and retrieve the ship.

Adam & yourself are still in the cockpit altho tired after multiple long flights (well, they seemed long to me !)

Rod Clark
EMFSO/TEMAC/LSF/MAAC

edited 2005/08/24 to thank Rick Ramsaran for being my copilot that day.

Edited by - warthog on 24 Aug 2005  5:13:23 PM
Best regards,
Rod Clark
EMFSO 801
TEMAC 47
LSF 3479 (Level 1)
MAAC 69870

piker

Rod,

Keep plugging away and it'll start getting easier.  It's the challenges and aggravations this hobby can bring that makes the success so much sweeter.

Robert

Warthog

The smaller GWS Tiger Moth seems to suit me as a trainer; slow, lots of time to react. I've had quite a few good flights out of Michael's "discard". The FEATHER receiver seems to work fine as long as there are no more than 2 other transmitters nearby. I got in 4 good flights tonite following major repairs (easy to do...the bottom wing had sheared off). Think "no wind".

Rod Clark
EMFSO/TEMAC/LSF/MAAC
Best regards,
Rod Clark
EMFSO 801
TEMAC 47
LSF 3479 (Level 1)
MAAC 69870

Michael

4 good flights! Terrific!

I think the GWS Tiger Moth is probably one of the best flying model airplanes ever produced. It can fly indoors and outdoors, and it's a relatively good looking scale model too!

Michael
Michael

Warthog

Michael,

Its now November 3rd & the Tiger Moth is still alive & well. Oh, it has a few more repairs here and there, but it still flies well and I am planning on replacing it with another this winter. The FEATHER rx was subject to much glitching in the gym last winter so I have bought an FMA and shall see how that one goes a Westview soon.

Rod Clark
EMFSO/TEMAC/LSF/MAAC
Best regards,
Rod Clark
EMFSO 801
TEMAC 47
LSF 3479 (Level 1)
MAAC 69870