I am now convinced we live in Bizarro World

Started by davidk, January 28, 2023, 03:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

These are the findings of the YRP DJI Drone / Cessna Crash.  Essentially, the Cessna flight crew was at fault for not seeing the drone flying below them.

No where in the findings are the YRP ever blamed.  They were flying in Controlled Airspace, directly over a runway, without telling anyone.  The worse thing mentioned about YRP is that the drone operator was "task saturated".

Link to the report:  https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/enquetes-investigations/aviation/2021/A21O0069/A21O0069.html

Even worse, here's the press release heading.  Shame on the TSB.
"Unsuccessful visual scanning, operator task saturation factors in 2021 aircraft/drone collision near Toronto/Buttonville Municipal Airport, Ontario"

In light of recent events, we live in a very stupid world.

Knightlite

GordPayne

"The victim is at fault for ramming his face into the officer's fist 5 times."
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."

GuyOReilly

The most absurd thing I found is the following exert (my highlights):
"When authorization is granted from ATS, a telephone number for the relevant ATC unit is included in the authorization. This telephone number is to be used in case of an emergency or loss of control of the RPA. This exchange of contact information between RPA pilot and ATS is meant to satisfy the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) requirement that two-way communications be maintained.
Although not required by regulation, the pilot of the RPA was monitoring the MF using a handheld very high frequency (VHF) radio during the occurrence."

In short, everybody else but the operator of a drone at an airport is REQUIRED to listen and call positions and movements at the airport on the MANDATORY frequency.  This communication between pilots helps ensure pilots know where other pilots are within the 5-mile radius of the airport and further out as we have to communicate 5 minutes before entering the mandatory frequency zone with our intentions. The DRONE Operator DID NOT COMMUNICATE WITH OTHER PILOTS.  He only listened.  If he was actively listening, then he had a DUTY to MOVE OUT OF THE WAY of aircrafts, in the pattern or elsewhere. 

The DRONE Operator is at fault pure and simple.  There is NO WAY for a pilot going anywhere from 65 to 80 knots on final to see and avoid a small drone ESPECIALLY when the DRONE Operator DID NOT COMMUNICATE ON THE MANDATORY FREQUENCY his intentions AND POSITION.

Placing any sort of fault on the aircraft pilot is non-sense.  IMHO a DRONE Operator is NOT A PILOT - NEVER WILL BE CONSIDERED TO A PILOT BY ME.

There I said it, rant over.

Guy O'Reilly PPL

GuyOReilly

And another thing:
1.12 Wreckage and impact information
The Cessna sustained damage to the front cowl and the carburetor air box. The propeller sustained some minor scratches.

This is a propeller strike and a full engine overhaul could be required.
According to Lycoming, this is what's considered a prop strike:
"Any incident during engine operation where the propeller impacts a solid object. This incident includes propeller strikes against the ground. Although the propeller can continue to turn, damage to the engine can occur, possibly with progression to engine failure."
This could lead to very expensive propeller and engine overhaul.

bweaver

For those who wish to really get an understanding of the circumstances subject to this post, watch and listen to a responsible drone operator's take on the same events in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TxaWvqWjuA

davidk

Follow-up video by Don Joyce at DonDronesOn.

So many parallels to what we are experiencing in our hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x61ERvFdWg4

GuyOReilly

WOW!!! A coverup ??  Sounds plausible.
The damages to the plane were FAR WORSE than what is contained in the TSB report as damage to the engine mounts may result in in-flight separation. They did overhaul the engine, as I has previously mentioned) and the propeller was damaged beyond repair and had to be replace -not minor scratches.
Then I understand their concerns with having models in the vicinity of airports and aerodromes.
One fly-away model that hits a plane, we would be toast.
I cannot wait for the follow up on that story.
Thank you for sharing.

msatin

Very interesting video David - thanks for sharing.
I have a good friend who flies out of Buttonville and have sent him the link.
If he has any interesting comments, I will share
You never fail until you stop trying

davidk

GuyOReilly

GordPayne

This guy is 'odd' to say the least. I wouldn't want a guy with his sense of humour and potential sense that it's ok to just dump fuel any time you like as my flight instructor. I don't care if he's joking, he's portraying illegal activities as 'fun to do'. Odd.
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."