Help needed - E-Flite UMX 2S lipo ESC connector

Started by sihinch, March 28, 2023, 07:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Hi everyone,

I need some help please?

I'm sure someone else will have encountered this before. I hope so!

I have a bunch of E-flite 2S lipos from the UMX planes. They use a "different" connector that is used for both balance charging and connecting to the ESC.  It is a 3 pin connector.

I want to use the E-Flite 2S UMX lipos with a regular ESC so I need the male plug. Anyone done this before?

I believe it is a JST-PHR-3 plug on the battery.

Thanks in advance.

davidk

Hey Simon,

I have a lot of connectors.  Could you please take of pic of both ends that you need and specify male / female.

With that info I can be sure I what I'm looking for.

Battery is 3 Pin white connector.  It's the only connector on the battery.

sihinch

Thanks so much David.

Yes, that is the type of battery that I want to use.

This is the type of plug I need for the ESC.

davidk

I can't see that I have anything like that.

That looks like a JST PH2 3 Pin with the middle pin removed.

Is that original on the ESC?

Can you show a whole pic of the ESC?  What brand it is, and so on?

davidk

Do you want to re-solder connections?

I have a 3 pin male end that fits that battery.  It's yours if you want it.

Or change both sides to an XT30?  Or the red JST stype?

Oscar

Quote from: sihinch on March 29, 2023, 08:45:21 AM
Thanks so much David.

Yes, that is the type of battery that I want to use.

This is the type of plug I need for the ESC.

Simon - looking at the photo, you got the Mig-15 UMX?  If so, 2S PH lipo like this will do (connector I mean.  For Mig-15, there are 2 versions.  The new one needs 280mah to 300mah  For the old one, 200mah to 280mah).
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/7.4v-200mah-2s-30c-lipo-battery-ph/EFLB2002S30.html

sihinch

David, would love to take the 3-pin male if you don't mind?

Oscar - I have lots of the E-Flite 2S lipos, that I use in the Mig, and I want to use the same lipos in a new build I'm making. I have a little 10A ESC and I want the male connector so I can use the E-flite lipos that I already have.

Make sense? I think David's option will work for me (I hope.)

Does your plug fit on the UMX lipo David?

Thanks so much all!

davidk

I bought a couple of 6 X Parallel JST-PH Charge Lead For E-Flite UMX Series 2S Lipoly from HobbyKing.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/6-x-parallel-jst-ph-charge-lead-for-e-flite-umx-series-2s-lipoly.html

I bought 1 for charging multiple UMX batteries.  The other one I started cutting off the 3pin male ends when I needed to create adapters for UMX planes.

What's on the end of your 10A ESC you're using for the new build?

sihinch

Just a positive and neutral wire, red & black. It's a 10A plush ESC.

So I'm just going to solder the outer 2 pins to the ESC and probably remove the middle pin.

The parallel charge lead was my backup plan!!!

sihinch

Thanks David - I may go down the Amazon route. Appreciate all the help!

sihinch

Thank you David. Thank you TEMAC. I bought the Amazon ones and have had success!

You can't see the connector here but this is the result. Plush 10A ESC connected to a 1407 2800kv motor.

This will be a little 2S, sub 250g pusher plane, like a mini Bixler.  It's known as a Sky King F959. Not sure if Ken Ross designed it?!

The standard one is brushed and comes RTF. I wanted a more nimble, controllable version for playing with. Hopefully it works out.