Fokker DR 1 Triplane- make it fly. IT DID NOV !!!!!

Started by Frank v B, October 26, 2020, 05:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on October 30, 2020, 10:13:13 AM
Hi @Frank v B

I SO want to be there when you fly this in the house for Cynthia!

Andy
@Andy Hoffer indoor flying at @Frank v B ?!? Count me in!
Guy

Frank v B

Guy and Andy.  You two at the back of the class.  Behave.  This is a bit of a build class.  SSHHHH!  Be vewy, vewy quiet!*

How to attach a cowl with magnets... once you know the cowl fits properly.

step 1- glue a set of magnets anywhere on the fuselage that makes sense.  The pencil points to the magnet on the firewall.  The second one is to the left.  See photo 2966.

Step 2- add a piece of waxed paper over the firewall magnet and plop a second magnet on top of the waxed paper. The sole purpose of the waxed paper is to make sure the glue does not ooze and permanently attaches the cowl to the fuselage.  See photo 67

Step 3- dab glue on the top of the magnet and the back of the cowl where the magnet will come to rest.  Stick the cowl in place.  I used a skewer to hold the cowl aligned (left side of the picture) while the glue dries.  Let cure.

Step 4- pull the cowl off and make sure the magnets are securely glued.

Step 5- stand back and admire your work....in case you are Bill Q. pop the top to any Canadian beer,  then get back to it! ;D

Frank

* Elmer J Fudd's famous quote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzdxeBTm6gk
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

Andy Hoffer

You know this has to be said:

@Frank v B definitely has a magnetic personality!!  ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Cover the cowl and do the final installation.

Note: I painted the inside red with a small brush and red Dollarama paint.

The best part- the cowl can be removed without removing the prop.

Frank

Frank v B

Lastly- the landing gear.

The old one was two separate sections.  That is asking for trouble.

Found a bent aluminum landing gear in my collection and moved the wheels over and covered it with red tape...to avoid the hassle of letting the paint dry.

Frank v B

We are tentatively aiming for this Friday at 2 pm for its maiden flight.  The weather forecast looks good.

Frank

Gregor77

I pray the forecast is correct... a bit of headwind will be good.  Like they say in all the Dr-1 forums.. don't play on the ground to much, get it in the air ASAP.  Good luck, will try to be there.

Frank v B

Confirming we will maiden the DR 1at 2 pm tomorrow (Friday) at Rogo Field.
Opted to install a 72 meg radio (Futaba 8 UAF) in it for one very simple reason- the trims can be slapped over immediately in case the trims (thrust, incidence, torque) are off.  FM trims can be adjusted immediately, not like the beep, beep, beep slow adjustment on the 2.4 gig transmitters.

Andy H. has confirmed so he can either photograph the flight or help with the balsa harvest. ;D

Frank

GuyOReilly

Best of luck with the Maiden Flight of the DR1.
Looking froward to pictures... videos... commentary on the flight... etc.
Guy
PS: I cannot be there due to work commitments.   :'(

Frank v B

Thanks Guy.

Photos of the final product.
The model's CG was spot on- nose down slightly with fingers on the spar of the middle wing. I googled established DR1 model designs (Ziroli, Proctor, BUSA) to find the CG.
It must have been tail-heavy before.

Summary of the changes:
- larger, heavier motor (50% more power)
- added a moveable rudder and a servo.  It was fixed before.
- a much wider track landing gear.
- the battery was moved forward into the motor box (850 mah, 3S)
- wooden prop (heavier) versus a GWS indoor prop
- new wooden cowl (heavier).
- the ESC was moved from inside the fuselage to behind the motor, zip-tied to the motor box in the cowl area.

Have taken Greg Cadez' comments to heart- use lots of rudder (125% throw) and only use the ailerons to level the airplane.  Have cut ailerons throws down to 35% of max.

Batteries are charging!  Friday 2 pm here we come.

Frank

Frank v B

The plane flew today... on the second flight.

Flight 1- took off, started left and had a problem flying straight.  It landed in the field where it seeded a 9x5 prop blade.  Ran out of "up" elevator.  Two of the elevator hinges came loose but I don't know whether that was a result of the landing or whether it caused the landing.

Flight 2: glued in the two loose hinges and borrowed a GWS prop from Andy.  The second flight was started with about 5 clicks of "down" elevator trim in order to keep the nose down. Two circuits of the field at about 25' altitude.

Thanks to Andy for the encouragement ("go Frank,  you idiot...." ;D ;D) and Cadez for his advice on how to control a DR1.  The advice was spot on.

The photos will be posted after dinner and then Andy's photos will be published after midnight.

Frank