New Product - Parkzone Mosquito 49"

Started by sihinch, October 17, 2013, 12:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

dangaras

A day late and a dollar short. Actually quite a few dollars too much compared to the Freewing mosquito. The pearlstone models are Cartoon scale with everything like flaps and retracts at extra cost. It is also smaller, more in the park flyer class.

sihinch

For me, there are a couple of points that make it a great offer......

- With it being PZ, you know it will be nice to fly.
- It looks roughly right, and with some weathering it will look even better.
- With the size, it's just right to get in the car without having to take it apart. So no fussing at the field.
- The 3S 2200mAh battery is such a common size it will not require any new or special lipos.
- You will be able to get spares very easily, should you need them!  :o

Plus, I'm hoping that with those big 3.25" wheels, it will be great on our field (with or without Geotex.)

Michael

Simon's right.

Parkzone/E-Flite/Hangar 9 models are well manufactured, fly very well, and have excellent manufacturer's warranties and parts availability.

Michael

piker

Quote from: dangaras on October 17, 2013, 08:49:06 PM
A day late and a dollar short.

So nice of you to encourage and support other member's decisions, Andre   ;D

I think it looks like great fun, Simon.  I'm tempted myself as I recently watched a documentary on the Mosquito showing what a fantastic aircraft it was.  And based on the fun I've had this year with my Parkzone Spitfire, I can imagine the Mossy will be fantastic!

Robert

dangaras

Thanks for your support! I am supporting a better product at a better price with the same availability of spares and ease of transport.

Don't be received by what you would like to believe!

Why aren't you using those good old AM transmitters from oh so long ago or maybe  a DX5 with dsmx? You want a progressive mindset but look at a late to market, over-priced, feature reduced product and endorse it? :(

Its just my opinion based on first hand experience! Not interested in a debate, simply starting facts. It's got big wheels, what it might or might not do is irrelevant.

sihinch

So a serious question, Andre, do you like the freewing version?  I'd be interested to know if it has any weaknesses or design issues.  It is a serious alternative to the PZ version...

dangaras

Look up the freewing mosquito on the motionRC website. The freewing mozzie http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-de-havilland-mosquito-1400mm-55-wingspan-pnp/#specifications

Compare the specs. There is always debate from the scale Nazis that something is not exactly right, but the parkzone version is even less scale & by a lot more...

The oversized wheels don't add to the scale look but the entire retract setup on the freewing is light years ahead. Gear doors, dual sprung oleosto make h-gear, sturdy extracts, glazed or solid nose, great color & paint finish. I could go on but those who compare the two will make their own decisions.

The freewing PNP is $259 all it needs is a pair of servos for the flaps, battery &RX.

The parkzone is $289 basic, nothing actuaded  so you have to add a significant $100+ to get it anywhere near the class of the freewing.

Now the PZ is simpler do if you want to pay more to get less and plan to keep it simple, then parkzone is for you. If you want the very scale , feature rich model then freewing is for you.

Enjoy.

sihinch

I've heard there are problems with the retracts on the Freewing version, and people have to modify them.  Are you aware of this?

Also, do you know the shaft size on the motors?  I'm worried they would bend if you nose over, if they are only 3mm.

Thanks,
s

dangaras

The retracts are just fine, everything bends even on my 30lb Tigercat. Try not to slam the model into the ground.

Don't know what size the motor shafts are but again no complaints about them bending.

For more details there is an extensive thread on rcgroups.com...

piker

Hey Andre, don't get mad   ;)

I'm just saying it can be very disheartening to be told that your new plane, that you come on the message board to share with your friends and that you're excited about, is a piece of crap.  You may be right that the other option is better, but I think you could be a little nicer about the way you convey that information.   ;)

Remember last week, at the Pilot's Meeting" when Jack and Simon were encouraging everyone, especially newer members, to participate more in the forum so we can be an even more social and knowledge sharing club?  My concern when I read your initial comment, was that no new member is going to share what they've recently purchased, or what they're working on, if they feel their decision will be criticized.

Please continue to share information and knowledge, after all that is one of the things that makes TEMAC and this forum great, but may I suggest that we all do it in a constructive and encouraging manor?  ;D

Ededge2002

When people go off about a "scale" foam airplane all I can think of is that its a beer cooler. If it makes you happy and works what's to complain about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7pyd6gESI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

dangaras

Good opinions, much like mine. I prefer to be a realist thanks. Not mad just the facts.

Going to hell in a hand basket together does not work for me and having seen the anguish on the face of the pilot who got his shiny new toy thinking it was the greatest until another pilot strolls by with the same model but of a much better scale and quality drives me to make sure peril know there are options.

Would you feel better if it were all wrapped in flowers and candy? I can make a less articulated statement and do a simple point by point comparison so the new guys can get a headstart on choosing a beer cooler or a scale model.. Whatever makes you happy right?

Michael

Quote from: dangaras on October 19, 2013, 08:07:25 AM
Whatever makes you happy right?

... and that's exactly the point, and the intent of TEMAC.   :)

I have no doubt, based on your passionate posts, that your model is a better "scale" model, or perhaps even a better-value product, but that doesn't mean that another product is not better suited to another person.

This isn't a contest, and we certainly don't want everyone coming to the field with the same exact model. That would be no fun.  ;D

The last thing we want to do is to start a 'show-off' competition; it's about whatever makes the individual member happy and satisfied within the hobby and within our club.

As far as the models being discussed here, I personally would choose a Horizon Hobby product (Parkzone in the this case), mostly because I make it a point to support and buy from local hobby shops (the other product is not offered locally). The local hobby shops support our club in many ways; they deserve our patronage. That's my preference, and while I encourage others to do the same, I have no problem with others ordering from elsewhere, be it because it's cheaper, different, faster or even 'more scale'.

The fact is, TEMAC was established to be an all-inclusive club for all kinds of electric flyers, to fly all kinds of electric models.

Now on a personal note regarding scale models, the truth is that few of our models are accurate scale renditions, but what most of us do, that is really not 'scale', is that we fly too fast. I've been making an effort the last few years to fly my 'scale' models in a more scale manner; shallow takeoffs, smooth level flight, not too extreme banks in turns, avoiding abrupt controlling, an smooth landings.

Nothing looks nicer than a scale plane flying overhead at what is perceived as a scale flight speed.

Whatever makes you happy right?
Michael

piker

Quote from: dangaras on October 19, 2013, 08:07:25 AM
Would you feel better if it were all wrapped in flowers and candy?

Yes!  As silly as that sounds, that is exactly what I'm suggesting... for the sake of the newer modelers who are looking for guidance and encouragement, but may be unsure of their choices at this point.

Thanks!

Robert