Geotex Runway Installation Update...MONDAY EVENING INSTALL...VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

Started by Wingnutz, May 01, 2014, 07:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Hi Robert @piker

I thought we staple the edges and the centerline every 6 inches.  Nowhere else.  Is that right Bill @Wingnutz?

Even so, we do need more staples, I think.

S

Wingnutz

Hi Rob
I too was planning to add more staples in the pattern you mentioned but the more I think about it, the less I'm sure that's a good idea. It's pretty flat now. Adding more staples over the main surface would probably make it less flat. I'll check with Karl and see what he thinks while I'm there this afternoon and let you know.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

I agree it would make it less flat, kinda like a quilt, but I understood it was part of the process.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting we should.  I just recalled that as part of the plan and was wondering about it.

frajolex

Andre Albuquerque

Be careful... it's always too close, no matter how far...

Andy Hoffer

Great view of the field Andre.

I'm surprised to see soooo many footprints on the new runway.  I would have thought everyone would be using the taxiways, eliminating the need to walk on the field.  ;D

Andy

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

Simon!  (Or is it @sihinch?) You don't mean to say that people actually crash on our brand new, snag free, super-smooth, micro finish runway??!  How is it possible?  :o

Please help me to understand this.

With great anticipation,

Andy

sihinch

As you know Andy, people will usually take the path of least resistance, or the shortage route between 2 points.  Therefore, if you crash just off the runway, you may be tempted to walk across the runway to collect your model!  ;)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on May 22, 2014, 11:11:42 AM
As you know Andy, people will usually take the path of least resistance, or the shortage route between 2 points.  Therefore, if you crash just off the runway, you may be tempted to walk across the runway to collect your model!  ;)

I can certainly understand that behaviour, but examination of Andre's photo shows footprints that end predominantly on the runway centreline, not off the runway.  I just can't fathom so many crashes on the new runway, unless it's really bouncy on the threshold, leading to high alpha stalls after the inital touchdown.  I can't wait to try my hand at it this weekend!! (My micro Gee Bee will love it!)  :D

Andy

Canuke

When I land on the runway and the plane tip overs I walk out to the plane and pick it up, I do not try and return it to a horizontal position by flicking the power. I did not understand you are not supposed to walk on the geotex?

Ededge2002

please excuse @Andy Hoffer Canuke.  He is a joker that needs to be dealt with.  We put up with him because he is an ace on the executive that always comes through in spades when the chips are down. The guy is a card.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Ededge2002 on May 22, 2014, 05:40:56 PM
please excuse @Andy Hoffer Canuke.  He is a joker that needs to be dealt with.  We put up with him because he is an ace on the executive that always comes through in spades when the chips are down. The guy is a card.

Well I guess our diamond in the rough clubbed that one to death.  You're all heart @Ededge2002;D

Andy Hoffer

Hi Folks:

Here is a new photo gallery by Graham McNicol who did a great photo essay on the birth of our new Geotex runway on May 5.

http://temac.ca/?p=5121

Way to go Graham!

Andy