Runway markings?

Started by wollins, June 05, 2015, 12:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Don't we need to put "X" s on the runway so no full size pilot confuses it with a real one?

gmcnic

I shall defer to Andy @Andy Hoffer as we have discussed this earlier.
However, if "X"'s are placed on the runway, then no other markings should exist which kind of takes the fun out of it.

Graham

wollins

Quote from: gmcnic on July 25, 2015, 11:36:43 AM
I find doing some low passes or touch-and-go's helpful in judging distance.
Also, the orange cones at both edges of the field are positioned along the runway centreline which I find useful in setting up the approach.

If we are thinking about runway markings, how about something like in the photo?
Graham

I like it!
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on July 25, 2015, 11:53:01 AM
Don't we need to put "X" s on the runway so no full size pilot confuses it with a real one?

I was wondering why there was some much pushback on this practical yet cool idea. ;)  So THAT'S your real concern! Well, I'm no full size pilot but my gut tells me that a full size pilot would hardly mistake our 210' X 30' black strip for even the tiniest of full size runways. (but I too defer to Andy on this one.)
|
|
|

Oscar

If you are flying your plane with FPV, runway marking will help you in takeoff and landing your FPV plane.   :D

I also like the idea of 4 feet mark.  If you extend it to become like a gate, a FPV quad racer would be delighted to have that setup  ;D

sihinch

Let's get a control tower too!

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: wollins on July 25, 2015, 03:53:47 PM
Quote from: sihinch on July 25, 2015, 11:53:01 AM

I was wondering why there was some much pushback on this practical yet cool idea. ;)  So THAT'S your real concern! Well, I'm no full size pilot but my gut tells me that a full size pilot would hardly mistake our 210' X 30' black strip for even the tiniest of full size runways. (but I too defer to Andy on this one.)

I can't find anything in the aviation regs that warrants against someone putting markings on the ground that look like a real runway.  We are not a registered aerodrome or airport, so we are not listed in the directory of Canadian aerodromes (Canada Flight Supplement) and we are not shown on any flight charts, so full-scale pilots would not have any way of determining our runways specs and suitability for landing.  In an emergency, a pilot eyeballs a potential landing area based on training and flight experience to determine if it's suitable.  I agree with Colin that a full-scale pilot would be unlikely to mistake our 210' model runway for a full-scale runway.

Andy

Oscar

Colin, I remembered last year Andre suggested to have a runway marking too.

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,4958.0.html

A control tower? LOL

Frank v B

Graham,

Just requisition a white cane for Colin.  The one with the red stripes. :)

Frank

Sorry Colin.  It has been a tough week for me ::)
"Never trade luck for skill"

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on July 25, 2015, 05:20:49 PM
Let's get a control tower too!

Now, now Simon, let's not get all snippy now ... you're supposed to be one of the nicer guys among us, remember?  ;)  Besides who's gonna sit in the darn thing?  ;D
|
|
|

battlestu

I'll do it but only if I get a shirt that says air boss  ;D ..or was it a mug...
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

bweaver

Graham, I never would of thought of painting the runway white and putting black and yellow lines on it, but it does look nice.  It would be a lot of work though.

Bruce

imran1042

I volunteer to work in the control tower.   
Any day at the field is a good day :)

Andy Hoffer

So....

Who exactly is volunteering to do ALL THAT PAINTING, including surface prep?  And what scale will be used for the markings?!!  :)

Andy

wollins

Well, since I was the one pushing for it I'll volunteer to be in that party. :) But I wasn't aware that the powers that be decided to do it? (aren't you one of the powers that be, Andy? ;) )
|
|
|