Runway markings?

Started by wollins, June 05, 2015, 12:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfeist

Two page thread summary: "Ok".

pmackenzie

Quote from: gmcnic on July 25, 2015, 02:52:43 PM
I shall defer to Andy @Andy Hoffer as we have discussed this earlier.
However, if "X"'s are placed on the runway, then no other markings should exist which kind of takes the fun out of it.

Graham

Why would putting "X"s preclude other markings?

As I understand it the "X" mark simply tells a pilot that a runway is closed and should not be used.
They have giant lit up ones on the runway they are resurfacing at YYZ.

So I would suggest just the opposite is true, if centre lines are put in place then X's should also be added.

gmcnic

Because that is what Transport Canada regulations stipulate:
"7.1.1.5 Standard - When a runway or taxiway or portion thereof is permanently closed, all normal runway and taxiway markings shall be obliterated."

Temporary closures, such as you saw at CYYZ, are handled differently.

Graham

Andy Hoffer

I am pleased to report that runway markings are now in place, courtesy of strafing runs by the local avian population.  While not typical of full-scale aerodromes, the comprehensive array of Picasso-style artwork, generously donated by the gulls, geese and herons who frequent our airspace, will no doubt provide excellent runway alignment and depth perception guides for TEMAC pilots who may have been challenged to date by our all-black featureless Geotex runway surface.  Pilots will find the random, omni-directional array of whites spots, streaks, and plops of particular value, given its similarity to our diverse landing attitudes and flying habits.  Perfect landings are now assured for everyone!

Enjoy!

Andy Hoffer (on behalf of the powers that be)  :D

Frank v B

Andy,

How do you get those animals to deposit the stuff that you are so full of?? :D

Guys: Andy is going away August 6-20.  Two weeks of Andy-less bliss.  Let's hope his destination is internet-free as well (Antarctica)

Frank
(who else)
"Never trade luck for skill"

gmcnic

Pleased to advise those pesky avian artifacts have been removed from the geotex.
Undercarriage should now be happy!

Graham

wollins

So now we can get the real markings? ;)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

OK FINE .... I'LL ADMIT IT ... my take off runs are not the straightest and NO ONE can dispute that a center line helps with THAT. ::)  Besides ... it looks cool guys!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

imran13

Well as long as you guys are sure no one will think its a real runway... from high up its possible.

CARs 301.08 section (f) states:

"No person shall
(f) at a place other than an aerodrome, knowingly display a marker, marking, light or signal that is likely to cause a person to believe that the place is an aerodrome;"

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-96-433.pdf

Sorry to be a party pooper :(
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

wollins

Quote from: imran13 on August 17, 2015, 10:00:55 PM
Well as long as you guys are sure no one will think its a real runway... from high up its possible.

"No person shall
(f) at a place other than an aerodrome, knowingly display a marker, marking, light or signal that is likely to cause a person to believe that the place is an aerodrome;"

Refer to post #21 from a full size pilot.
|
|
|

imran13

I did read it, I'm just pointing out what the regs DO say. In any event, a glider could land in that short space.

Btw I'm also a full (glider) pilot  ;D ;D

Look forward to seeing you all soon, after such a long absence!
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

gmcnic

A few TC definitions to ponder:

Aerodrome. Any area of land, water (including frozen surface thereof) or other supporting surface used or designed, prepared, equipped or set apart for use either in whole or in part for arrival and departure, movement or servicing of aircraft and includes any building, installations and equipment in connection therewith.
Aircraft. A machine capable of deriving support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air.

Graham
PS-  Congrats Imran on achieving your glider license!  :) 8)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: wollins on August 17, 2015, 10:10:31 PM
Quote from: imran13 on August 17, 2015, 10:00:55 PM

"No person shall

Refer to post #21 from a full size pilot.

Good catch Imran.  The issue then becomes whether markings on our runway would be judged "likely to cause a person to believe that the place is an aerodrome."[/size] [/size]It doesn't seem likely due to the small size of our runway, but this may warrant a query with Transport Canada. Andy

Andy Hoffer

Frankly, it might be easier to simply install an instrument landing system tied to an on-board GPS guidance system, sort of like the advanced multicopters use.  Just set it and forget it.  Picture perfect landings every time.   :D

Andy

gmcnic

Andy, will you be visiting our TEMAC aerodrome tomorrow for the fun fly?
If so, we can discuss it further.

Graham