Flyzone Scale Seawind Amphibious seaplane

Started by Oscar, November 09, 2015, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Andy,

re:"I scuba dive too! "

You are either a man of great and diverse talents or, as I see it, a man who has spent a lifetime to develop an infinite number of ways to bother your friends. ;D

Frank (who else?)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 20, 2015, 08:00:07 AM
Andy,

re:"I scuba dive too! "

You are either a man of great and diverse talents or, as I see it, a man who has spent a lifetime to develop an infinite number of ways to bother your friends. ;D

Frank (who else?)

Mom always said there would be people like you in my life, and that I should be prepared!!!  ;D

Snowballs

Candu

Sorry to hear about your seawind, Oscar.  A time lapse video of the repair would make an it interesting!

You mentioned there were two pilots also appeared to have lost total control of their model and crashed at/near that spot earlier that morning. One of the crashed model was also a pusher and I'm not sure about the other one. So the tail wind stall theory as offered in the previous posts may not be that far off. Windless condition at ground level may have fooled more than one pilot that morning...

Bigstik

HI guys,

Anymore theories/updates on the crash of the Seawind? I picked one up this past Mon., and have installed rx, battery and bound it. Don't know when I'll get to fly it what with the snow and all. She is a beaut!
A fellow on you tube added Parlzone vortex generators to his Seawind wings. Don't know if they improve flight characteristics, but they look neat. The same fellow has the C of G 2.75" from the le.
Bigstik

Oscar

Hi John

Yes, I spoke to Glenn (https://www.youtube.com/user/mnragnar) who has the Vortex generator installed.  He said it's night and day.  When I have my Seawind rebuild, I will put the vortex generator on too.  He also mention setup in crow so it can land in show distance. 

Oscar

My Seawind rebuild completed.   I added the vortex generator onto the wing, a new pilot  and a new decal  ;D

BJROB

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Bigstik

Crow? What is crow and how does one set up?

Bigstik

Oscar

Borrow from http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-glider-wing-setups.html
"Crow : also called 'Butterfly', RC glider wing function is used when landing. When Crow is activated the flaps drop down and the ailerons move upwards. This gives a very effective combination of drag from the flaps and reduced lift from the ailerons, now acting as spoilers. The result is that a fast-flying glider can be slowed right down and, when landed well, can be brought in with very little forward airspeed.

It's common for crow braking to be operated by the throttle stick of the Tx, although having it on a switch or slider is perfectly acceptable. It's also usually necessary to mix some degree of elevator compensation with crow braking; a glider will likely pitch upwards, sometimes drastically, when crow is activated and having the elevators deflect downwards automatically is very helpful."

How to setup Crow Brake in DX8
https://youtu.be/2KwblApqLZM

bweaver

Great repair job Oscar.  Can't tell it went down.   The pilot appears to be hesitant to sit in the pilot seat? Any reason for this?

Bruce ;D

Oscar

Thanks Bruce, I think the pilot watched my crash video.  ;D

The fuselage is new as well the horizontal stabilizer and the canopy.  Others are from the old plane (gluing them back).  One of the challenge is putting the gears and the electronics back.  Unlike other fuselage, I found this plane has very limited space.  (Number of times I almost give up and thinking I might as well buy a new one instead)    :P

Bigstik

It's a beauty of a plane, but I find the non removable canopy an issue. There is so many wires to cram in behind the seat, that a removable canopy would be much easier. I'm thinking about it!
Bigstik

Wingnutz

Quote from: Wingnutz on November 10, 2015, 07:26:42 PM
From an earlier post in this thread
As an interesting aside, a few years ago, my cousin was almost killed in a Seawind. He owned the aircraft and was taking off to take the aircraft to an auction to sell it. Engine failed on take off and the plane hit power lines as it descended and crashed onto a road, main gear punched up through the wings, puncturing the fuel tanks and spewing av gas all over the road as the aircraft slid along. Spark, poof, inferno! My cousin popped the canopy and was out, just in the nick of time!
Sadly the story had an unhappy ending...no insurance!
Photos of my cousin's 2013 crash of his full size  Seawind were snapped by bystanders as my cousin tried to make an emergency landing in Fort Nelson BC with the plane already on fire and the engine stopped. The full size airplane has a troubled history and Oscar, in terms of crashing Seawinds, you are not alone. Good luck with the re-maiden!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Yikes!  Was he using Lipo's???   ;D

Glad he was alright!

Candu

Oscar, you and the sub freezing weather inspired me to come up with this scratch build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifhEiGESnWQ

The video is taken with the plane suspended from the motor shaft which is positioned over the CG. Balance looks good.

Used 4 piece of foam boards from Dollarama. Final dimensions:
- Wingspan - 60"
- Length - 36"
- Weight - 650g