Old Timers Event "Dust them off!" May 5th 2013

Started by Gregor77, February 25, 2013, 08:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well, I am a bit early bringing this event up.  But after the Whitby swap, I was speaking with the Ken's and it motivated me to get going on the old timer I had in the basement. 

It suffered normal hangar rash and a broken tail.  So I grabbed some cold ones and headed downstairs to fix her up!  Well after a few hours, not only was the tail fixed, but I also ended up converting the whole plane to electric.   Just need to get some more hardware and should be ready for a maiden if the weather permits.  Although I am not a real fan of the plane, it is growing on me with the big tires and cartoon details.

piker

Sounds like fun, but I have a very important question:

Do "Beer Goggles" work on airplanes too?

Gregor77

I see your point.. I already got rid of some of them due to the same reason.  I find the old timers VERY ugly...   But I am sure that everyone has one sitting the closet... lol

I might put some floats on it too later on!  ha ha!

piker

Actually, that wasn't my point.  It was just a general question related to simultanious modelling and drinking.  May not be a bad thing  :)

But actually, I really like old timers.  I feel they have a quirky, nostalgic, charm.  But even better than that, they are generally beautiful flying planes... the way they float around in the wind currents, etc.  On floats they can be as light as a feather.

Michael

Quote from: piker on February 25, 2013, 01:24:13 PM
...  On floats they can be as light as a feather.

Stop being diplomatic and admit it; you'd like to see ducted-fan-jets and even pylon racers on floats!  ;D
Michael

piker

Yep.  I'd be happier if Rogo field was Rogo Pond. There'd be no bumpy areas and no grass cutting fees.

But you guys know that.

Ededge2002

Oh this is about old timer RC planes...  I just didn't think I fit in because I wasn't old enough.
They are cute and nice sometimes and the planes ain't bad either.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

So you need to "dust off an old timer, to attend this fun fly? There's a guy down the street who keeps telling my kids to get off his lawn, maybe I'll invite him.  And why is Cadez keeping one in his basement? Maybe that's who's churning out all these airplanes he's building.  ;)

Should be an interesting event, not sure I have anything that qualifies. Although the Zero I have entered service in the 1930's so technically maybe I do. At around 75 years old, it's pretty vintage.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Gregor77

You found out my secrets to mass production. Somehow the stouffville retirement home didn't notice a few missing. Lol.

Gregor77

Well, I had a chance to maiden the yellow and blue old timer of mine.  It was a blast to fly very slow!  I would like to thank Jack Higgins for helping me find out what the plane was called.  It's an "OLD TIMER" that was published in RCM.   Here is the details.

Old Timer

Designer:   Al Sievers

Scale:   

Wingspan:    84 in.

Length:   

Wing Area:    1081 sq. in.

Weight:   

Power Required:    0.49 - 0.61 cu. in. (glow)

For anyone that saw it fly, it was nice and slow, flew great and had some good presence in the sky.  Great for a go-pro and other media device. 

sihinch

Do you love that old timer as much as she does in the photo?

Gregor77

Quote from: sihinch on March 12, 2013, 05:57:12 PM
Do you love that old timer as much as she does in the photo?

No really that much, but close....

For a joke, I should get Carmen to do the exact same pose... lol!

Bobmic

Michael

Michael

Bobmic

Thx, Will probably have more videos this summer as I finally decided on a GoPro

Bobby