Adrian Page Super Cub

Started by Michael, March 07, 2015, 05:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I got a little bit done tonight.

I decided to make another hatch on the bottom, behind the landing gear.

This is where I'll put the receiver and bunch up loose wires, so that the cabin will be less messy and it'll be easier to place the battery inside.

I also built a simple fuselage floor to hide the receiver.
Michael

octagon

looks great Mike. Looking forward to seeing it fly.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

A little more progress.

Fuselage white paint and covering completed. The work around the windows was not difficult; it just took time and patience.

I printed a Super Cub dash (sized to fit my model) that I found through a Google search, and glued it to a piece of balsa, which will be glued in place after covering, but before windows are installed.

Michael

pmackenzie

Looks like you have the course laid out to fly from Portland to Vancouver  :)

Michael

Quote from: pmackenzie on April 25, 2015, 09:20:04 AM
Looks like you have the course laid out to fly from Portland to Vancouver  :)

That's an astute observation, Pat.

The history of the subject of my model is based on a Super Cub that was purchased by the Israeli Air Force from a British Columbia collector of vintage planes, for training purposes. Once the plane had been converted to Israeli colours (white and orange?), the GPS had been updated to reflect training exercises between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.  ;D

(I make it up as I go along!  ;D )

Well, at least it's an effort at being more scale.
Michael

Michael

The fin was one of the most challenging model parts I ever covered.

Michael

Michael

Most of the covering is done, so I took a break to appreciate the model for a moment.

Michael

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

I started looking around my 'shop' for parts to finish the cowl, and I found the cowl from my old model. The colours don't look so good in the photo, but it's actually quite nice in person. This is a foam, balsa and fiberglass cowl that I built from scratch.

Michael

Papa

No it's not, you can do better.

"Why spoil the ship for hap'worth of tar"

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

I saw the real thing; the cowl is more scale than the rest of the plane.  ;D

Anyway, I will finish the new cowl, but this 'temp' may allow me to fly it next weekend.
Michael

wollins

Quote from: Michael on April 26, 2015, 07:08:13 PM
Most of the covering is done, so I took a break to appreciate the model for a moment.

Ahhh ... orange. Excellent! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

the giant

Michael

Tail wheel and tail horns, etc.

Generally, using screwed on clevises on this type of pushrod is not a good idea, as they can rotate. I used locktite to prevent this.

Michael

Michael

The model is built, and ready for a maiden flight.

I didn't take any photos of the radio or power system installation, as this is similar to assembling an ARF. If anybody wants to see a photo of any part of the model, let me know.

Instead of ordering decals, I cut my own graphics out of sticky-back Monocote trim. I drew the images needed on the backing paper (numbers backwards, of course), and carefully cut them out, carefully applied them, and it's done!

The last photo looks like the graphics are skewed; it's the photo - not the model.
Michael