Darn...Looks like my Nexstar is grounded again

Started by sts41, July 09, 2012, 12:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sts41

Well it took about 10 flights...But I guess the motor in my Nexstar took a hit during the accident.

Does anyone work on them in the club?
It is a Rimfire 42-50-800    .32  Motor.

It looks like:
1) 3 magnets have come loose.
2) Front armature is no longer solidly connected to the magnet can.
3) The reason for both problems, and this is just from what I saw inside the motor, the shaft may be bent.

My preference is to order the replacement from HK...Plan to place the order on Wednesday.

Let me know if anyone has a better solution before then...

Much Appreciated

sts41

thehaze

What size motor does it need? Perhaps someone has one they could sell you instead. Beats waiting for HK and it would get you in the air sooner.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sts41

The specs are here under GPMG4700:

http://www.electrifly.com/motors/gpmg4505.html

This is the one I plan to order from HK as a replacement:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18122__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_4240_740kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

If someone has something close to get me in the air....would be great then I can order the HK one since I need some other stuff.

Thanks All...sts41
;D

Ededge2002

I have some motor building experience as well as a couple repairs.
Quick questions:  are the magnets damaged?  Does the can look straight still? Did it work at all after the crash?
I would gladly see what I can do if your interested.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sts41

There is a very little scratching inside on the magnets, this is why I think the shaft has a small bend. Other than that, everything is fine...If I plugged it in the way it is, it would run.

I would of attempted to fix it also...But don't know what glue to use to affix magnets, or the front prop mount to the can. Also, I don't have the tools needed here to check the shaft for straightness.

So if you want to take a look at it, I can drop it off to you.

Thanks Steve

byrocat

Steve, I've got an E-Flite 32 motors hanging around my workshop, and plan to be out at the field this evening but won't be able to ahve it with me.  I've got the NexStar with the AXI 2826/10 (crazy stupid power levels according to Isaac Murray when he test flew it last week -- now tuned back to 1000 watts and 53 amps.)

If you need a new motor and can't get over to the LHS and pick one up, I'll sell you mine -- since it's unused, it will be full retail price using Great Hobbies' posted price since that's where I got it (Mississauga).

sts41

That would be a perfect fit....But I am trying to keep down the price. I have ordered one from HK.

I will be at the field tonight...I will see if Ed can fix it a bit...at least so it last until the new one comes in.

Thanks sts41

Ededge2002

Steve I took a look at the motor tonight and I think it will be fine. Will do some work on it tomorrow and keep you posted.
Ed

Ededge2002

Steve picked up the motor tonight. I reglued the magnets and bell. Hopefully it continues on.

byrocat

For those who weren't at the field on Wednesday pat, my NexStar is also gorunded -- rang the bell on one of the pilot enclosure posts (direct hit with the AXI), so I'm swapping in a 32-sized motor and regluing the bulkheads that were sprung (please feel free to give me the cdorrect grammatical phrase...). GThe AXI feels and sounds like a pepper grinder so soemthing is not good there.

Plus making sure that the alignment of nosegear and rudder are bang-on (which caused the problem in the first place).

Just waiting on the buddy box cord to arrive and I'll have a full trainer setup (thanks to Gordon for providing the trainer box.)