SAFE R/X in other Plane

Started by Oscar, June 30, 2016, 07:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Earlier one of the student who had an Apprentice S with SAFE R/X had difficulties in controlling the plane even with the instructor took over the control thru the buddy box wired setup.  The pilot had tried 3 different radios (DX5e, DX6, DX6i) - All failed.  The Apprentice seems to fly fine after switch over to a regular DSMx R/X. 

We all thought it must be a bad R/X. 

I was curious and would like to do some troubleshooting.  The pilot kindly lend me the trouble SAFE R/X and I mounted it to my T-28, bind to the DX9.  During my ground testing, I found I need to reverse the Elevator servo (use a reverse servo switch, not using the reverse channel).  Otherwise, everything seems to be fine (just follow the instruction from the Apprentice S manual).

Now, the only way to find out whether the R/X is working properly is to fly it. And the best way to test the SAFE is to fly it on a windy day.  When I arrived at the field, wind was 20km/h, guest to 31km/h, direction was S to S/E wind. 

Great! Testing a possible bad R/X in a gusty wind condition (I didn't expect to be that windy). Oh well...  :-\

I did my final ground test at the bench and took it to the field.  Taxiing out the runway and ready to fly.  The moment it took off the ground, my worries is over.  With the SAFE R/X, it flies like it's on rail.  I had tried beginner mode, intermediate mode, advanced mode, PANIC recovery.  All working accordingly.  With the wind, I do have to give 3/4 to full throttle.

Landing was a bit of challenge.  Mainly because the wind starts to pick up.  I have to land it with power. 

Overall, it landed safely. 

In conclusion, I don't think the cause is the bad SAFE R/X.  On the other hand, I think for anyone who worries whether it's possible to mount the SAFE R/X to another plane, I am happy to say it's possible and it's good insurance too (for panic recovery if you lose the orientation)  :D

https://youtu.be/eRyt-EUSSSk

fasteddie

Thanks Oscar
Looking forward to putting it back in the apprentice
Ed
Aera et terram imperare