Put life in perspective- 10 year anniversary of a last wish- Ron Pearce

Started by Frank v B, May 30, 2021, 07:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

This year is the 10th anniversary of Ron Pearce's passing.  Still the best yet saddest event in my modelling life.

On April 11, 2011, when I was with the Bramalea RC Flyers (CFI) we were approached by a visitor whose brother Ron was given 4 months to live (brain tumour).  His last wish was to see his almost completed Great Planes Cub (.46 size) fly. Ron had never flown RC and this was his first RC plane.   Bramalea Club members took parts home and finished them for the scheduled maiden flight on May 1.

May 1- maiden flight 10 am. rain or shine-   At exactly 10 am, 6 cars pulled into the parking lot and 16 family members piled out to witness the event.
May- August- Club members picked up Ron at home and drove him to the field to fly and drove him back.  Mostly to give his wife Laurie a break.  They had one car.
August 8- Ron was given his provisional solo certificate.
August 10- Ron died

Four of us attended the funeral and were mentioned in the eulogy by name.  Tough to keep a dry eye.

So if you see me smiling in the middle of this life-altering pandemic, life could be so much worse.... and it is not. 8)

Frank

Photos taken by Ken Wilton
Photo 1- Ron and his wife Laurie.  A family member taking photos of the very angry sky.  It was cold and blustery.
Photo 2- Ron holding his plane after the maiden flight.
Photo 3- Ron receiving his wings two days before he died.  That is Drew Martin (L), the point-man of this project.

ps: the co-conspirators of this event were Drew Martin and Ken Wilton.

"Never trade luck for skill"

RogMason

A touching yet fitting tribute to your friend Frank.
Belated condolences.
'Roger That...'

Gregor77

GuyOReilly

sihinch