Battle of Britain Day is September 15

Started by Wingnutz, July 26, 2013, 11:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

September 15, 1940 was the last day of large scale Luftwaffe raids on Great Britain as Hitler gave up trying to establish air superiority over the RAF.
September 15, 2012 was quite different over ROGO field and the Luftwaffe never even showed up!
Click her for a flavour of the 2012 Bof B day.
TEMAC 2012 Battle of Britain Day
Will you be a part of September 15, Battle of Britain Day 2013?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

battlestu

Great video Bill!...... This pilot will be back  ;D
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Count me in!

Wonderful film - the soundtrack makes such a difference!

Thanks for posting.

Ededge2002

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Wingnutz

Quote from: sihinch on July 27, 2013, 09:38:18 AM
Count me in!

Wonderful film - the soundtrack makes such a difference!

Thanks for posting.
Phew! Figured some of you scale types might spot the soundtrack for the fake that it is...it is a Merlin but it's in a Mustang rather than a Hurricane or Spit!

Wingnutz

Sunday September 15, 1940 was probably the greatest single day air battle ever fought with over 1,500 aircraft involved on that day and the last really concentrated attempt by the Luftwaffe to annihilate the RAF. For the full history lesson, see Wikepedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain_Day
September 15, 2012 at ROGO was a fun tribute to the flyers and aircraft on both sides. We gathered around 1500h (3:00 p.m.). flew our Spitfires and Hurricanes and frightened the Luftwaffe out of the skies over ROGO! There was some ragged formation flying, individual flights and some really good scale flying, take-offs and landings. For a flavour of BofB day 2012 at ROGO, check the video at the beginning of this thread. This year rumour has it the Luftwaffe is sending BF 109Fs to battle the RAF over ROGO...next year, who knows...Heinkels, Stukas, BF110s???
This year, we'll present awards for the following;
Best BofB British Model
Best BofB German Model
Best Landing with a Wheeled BofB Model
Best Formation Flying (two, three or four models)
Pray for good weather and come join the fun around 3:00 p.m. next Sunday...awards around 5:00 p.m.

Wingnutz

"Did Mustangs fly in the Battle of Britain?" I was asked at the field today. No, they didn't, nor did P-47's, FW 190's, or Lightnings in spite of their popularity with RC flyers but all these are models of WWII aircraft and if they're the closest you have, bring them along!
I'm going to bring my HK Spitfire (a MKIX with 1944 invasion stripes and not really a BofB flyer), my e-Flite Hurricane which is modelled after a real BofB aircraft, a semi scale MeBF109? and Dad's Unionville Tiger Moth done up in RAF wartime trainer colours which was the RAF's basic trainer in 1940.

sihinch

I'm trying to get my Lancaster in flight-ready condition again!

Will you allow me to fly that, Wing Comander Quantock?

Frank v B

I just checked the British planes that participated in the Battle of Britain.  Surprised to find out there were only 7 planes- The Spit (mostly mark 1's, some Mark 2's), Hurricane, Lancaster, Blenheim, Beaufighter, Defiant and Gladiator biplane.
So if I use a two bladed prop on my Spit and power it down it will be a Mark 1 (4 cells, 46" span).  Damn, the ailerons are not fabric covered. ;D
Remember, if you notice a scale defect on my Spit you are standing way too close. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ededge2002

I'm bringing my "stand way the heck off" scale ME109 in an authentic "Battle of Britain" paint scheme.   Along with a little surprise for visuals!

Michael

You're not gonna believe this, but ....

a Parkzone Habu-2 in the BoB.
Michael

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

imran13

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Ededge2002

Wow that's some great research work Michael!
I think if photographic proof is provided it should be considered.

Wingnutz

Simon,
Squadron Leader Frank's post indicates Lancasters were part of the BofB...that makes it legit. Hadn't run across that one in the reading I've done, but you learn something everyday.
Michael,
Neat picture, but...PZ Habu?  Quoting you replying on another thread to an earlier post, "if that's the best you can do..."
We have two honorary judges to judge the models

Best BofB Luftwaffe model
Best BofB RAF model
Best Wheeled Landing BofB model
Best Formation Flying (two, three or four models) Schwarms or Finger Fours anyone?

I have submitted a request to the met office for the same weather as last Sunday.