TEMAC Float Flying alive and well in Bobcaygeon

Started by Wingnutz, September 21, 2017, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

TEMACers Ken and Ken(Ellie) came to visit yesterday. After a bit of catching up I asked if the guys would like to go for a boat ride or go float flying,
"Both...at the same time!" replied Ken.
The result was a new experience for all of us and one of the best float flying sessions I've ever had, even though most of the time, I watched (tried to shoot video and drove the boat)
We loaded two models, transmitters, batteries and ourselves into (onto?) my pontoon boat and headed out on Pigeon Lake. After a bit of discussion, we came up with launch and retrieval procedures that worked perfectly.
Here's a link to a really crude video that captured some of the magic of float flying from a boat...

https://youtu.be/M5B35n__Uwk

Pigeon Lake, air 28C, water 25C, wind steady from the south at 10kph, boat speed about 8kph south.
All three of us made perfect landings...takeoffs even in the open lake were no issue! Sorry I missed the landing in the video... it was perfect, but Ken put the model down right in front of the boat and I had to get on the controls to make sure I didn't run over his model!
We're planning to hand launch on the fly next time but we'll take the bimini frame down just in case things go horribly wrong.! :o
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Nice!  That is what it's all about!

I've flown from a moving boat a few times and it's really a very cool and unusual experience.  We were able to match the speed of the model with the speed of the boat, which requires a pretty fast boat... even for a slow model.  It's weird as you lose all sensation of the model's airspeed and just have to rely on other cues for airspeed like movement relative to the water, and throttle stick setting.  But it's a really nice way to fly as you feel even more connected with the plane when you're moving along with it.

I'm glad to see SOMEONE is float flying.  I hope I can get my house building obligations under control for next summer so we can get back at it as a club.   

BJROB

Wow that looked like a ton of fun...
nothing but steady winds out there I bet...
I've been thinking of doing the same in my boat.
I think I will before the water goes cold and hard
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Wingnutz

Three float flights today. Serendipitous two hours of calm in the middle of the day which begged a break from yard work. Two flights from shore and one from the fourteen foot tin boat.
Being retired and having a lake in your back yard has advantages!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker