Frank's Stinson Voyager 50" span- Death by 100 sticks.... no stones!

Started by Frank v B, December 23, 2019, 05:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Frank v B

"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Get back to work after the Pilots' Meeting.

I did the second aileron with all the same dimensions as the first aileron with all the same mistakes.

Gotta get this plane done so I can get to my Warwing and drive Bruce absolutely silly. ;)

Frank

bweaver

Re: "Gotta get this plane done so I can get to my Warwing and drive Bruce absolutely silly."

@Frank v B Eventually after constructing your Warwing, the future flights and challenges you are likely to experience will have you needing to refer to...
http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6579.msg43142.html#msg43142  ::)

Frank v B

Bruce,

My job is to make the time between first flight and first major repair as long as possible while inflicting as much damage to other Warwings......especially yours! ;) 8)

Frank

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on January 11, 2020, 03:04:20 PM
Bruce,

My job is to make the time between first flight and first major repair as long as possible while inflicting as much damage to other Warwings......especially yours! ;) 8)

Frank

Wishful thinking Frank, wishful thinking.   :P

Frank v B

Bruce,

You know we are all dreamers.  It's my turn.    ;) :D

Frank

Frank v B

Keep going!

Photos:
2859- servo glued in, balsa cover glued in, "Y" connector connected and safety dental floss added to connector.  The "X" pencil marks are attachment points for the wing struts.
2861- last test with a servo tester to make sure the servos can fully deflect without binding and centering before disconnecting.
2862- center sheeting finished on the bottom of the wing with the "Y" connector sticking out.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

Andy is alive!!

I have two words for Andy in Morse Code that he will understand....

Frank

Frank v B

Andy and I can team up and start a new business.  Our insults are much higher quality.

Saw this sign in Thornhill today.

Frank

Frank v B

Agonized over the wing attachment method.  It had to solve the following problems:
1) the leading edge of the wing overhangs the cockpit.  No option for leading edge dowels... my preferred method.
2) the cabin structure is weak so I wanted a wide area of attachment to spread the load
3) tried to use rubber bands but the problem is the dowel has to be ahead of the leading edge.  The leading edge was ahead of the dowels shown on the plan.

When I put my mind to it the solution came in about 5 minutes. Decided the trailing edge would use one nylon bolt.

Glued a "J" shaped piece of balsa the width of the cabin to the bottom side of the wing.  The load is spread the full width of the cockpit.

The photos show the close-ups.

Photo 66- shows the wing in position over the cockpit.  Can't use leading edge dowels or rubber bands.
Photo 67- shows the wing flipped upside down over the front of the cockpit.  It shows the balsa hold-down piece on the LE.
Photo 68- shows the balsa hold-down locked into place (to the left of the servo wires)
Photo 69- shows the side view of the balsa "J" hold-down on the botto of the LE.

Dried, fried and done.

Frank

davidk

Frank v B

Next problem:  Accidentally ended the top of the fuselage one bay too short.  I did not want to extend the permanent top because it would be tough to access the two servos.
Decided to make a hatch that covers the open bay and the top of the wing at the wing bolt.  It will be held down with magnets.

How?
- made a new former same as the old one, placed wax paper in between the new and old one and pinned it in place. (see top of photo 2872)
- made a 3/32 balsa plate to fit the back of the wing and created an access hole for the wing hold-down screw. Put wax paper on top of the wing and pinned the plate in place at the trailing edge of the wing. (see bottom of photo 2872)
- added 1/8 sq. stringers and epoxied them in place. (see photo 2873).  The split in the center stringer covers the hold-down screw.  This will be cut back later.\

Frank

Frank v B

An easy way to line up magnets on a hatch.

It is frustrating when you make a hatch, glue in magnets and not have them mate properly once the glue dries.  If you are not an engineer or a perfectionist here is an easy way that meets the "just good enough" standard (50:50 rule).

Note: the magnet is off the centerline of the wing/hatch because I did not want to weaken the wing joint.

step 1- drill a hole the diameter of the magnet in the hatch and glue the magnet in place with a friction fit.  Let it dry. In photo 74 the balsa stick points to the first magnet on the hatch.
step 2- put a piece of wax paper on the magnet and attach a second magnet to the one on the hatch.  It automatically orients the magnet so it sticks. Photo 76
step 3- put the hatch in place and push on the magnet so it dents (marks) the balsa when you push on it.
step 4- drill a hole in the second surface (in this case the wing) but make it larger and deeper than the magnet. (magnet visible in photo 76, top.)
step 5- fill the hole with 5 minute epoxy and pin the hatch with the second magnet and the wax paper in place.  Let it dry. Photo 75

Here is why:
- the wax paper stops the glue that is squeezed out from gluing the hatch in place
- floating the second magnet allows 100% contact with the first magnet, same angle, absolutely proper depth and orientation (north to south*).
- it guarantees 100% success and it is accurate as hell without you having to be.
- you have 5 minutes to check for hatch alignment and adjust.

Frank

*yes, I have glued magnets in place and reject the hatch!!