Frank's Stinson Voyager 50" span- Death by 100 sticks.... no stones!

Started by Frank v B, December 23, 2019, 05:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

OK Bruce, start judging.*

Final photos of death by 100 sticks.

Photo 41- done!
Photo 42- shows the rudder and elevator linkages and the access hatch behind the wing.
Photo 43- nose shot with cowl in place (contains motor and ESC).
Photo 44- nose shot with battery hatch (windshield) off.  Held on by magnets.
Photo 45- da plane!
Photo 46- nose off (crash mode!)

Will put an orange racing stripe down the fuse on a rainy day in the future but she is ready to maiden now.

Frank

* or save the insults for my next project.... the Warwing.  You may know it.
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

davidk

For a gorgeous plane... 10.  Can't wait to see her fly.  Is she going to be a... ur... um... fishing line plane... or a regular plane??  ;D

Frank v B

Bruce,

re "For a Stinson Voyager 7.9...  ::)"

A brother from a different mother!  I wanted need the extra points for Cub yellow on your Cub Day event.

Frank

ps: not bad for a kit that rated 2 out of 10.... because it had some wood in it.  Lots of parts were missing, drawings were wrong, what was drawn couldn't possibly work, etc.

Frank v B

David,

re:  "fishing line plane... or a regular plane??  ;D"

If you mean floats or wheels... don't push your luck.  I had to be talked into adding wheels.  The gear, as designed, could not work and would have collapsed on the first landing. ;D

Frank

davidk

bweaver

Quote from: davidk on February 29, 2020, 10:28:33 AM
For a gorgeous plane... 10. Can't wait too see her fly.  Is she going to be a... ur... um... fishing line plane... or a regular plane??  ;D

I gave him a 10 for a Cub.  @davidk How non-committal can you get calling it a generic 'gorgeous plane'. I thought I was being generous for a Stinson. 

(Maybe all it was missing was that orange stripe that Frank was referring to.) 

Time will tell.  Judging doesn't require an commitment made in stone.    :-\

Frank v B

David,

re: "Fishing"- I missed that one completely.  Maybe a 72 meg fishing rod would be appropriate.  Will check my stock and report back*.

Bruce,

re: "generous"  All contestants know that on Cub Day we start off at Zero with you... before all the bribing starts. ;D  Then there are guys like me who remain at a Zero with you. 8)

Frank

* I have at least 20 72 meg transmitters and 50 receivers.  My shop is the last refuge of 72 meg technology.... right beside the 8 track tapes. ;)

davidk

I couldn't really comment on the "Stinson" part since I wasn't around when it first rolled out   ;)

Frank v B

Flew the Stinson two weeks ago and it flew fine.  The 150 watt motor was more than powerful enough to lift it off at about 3/4 throttle.

Notice the green tape- to get the CG forward for the first flight I put the battery (3S- 850 mah) right behind the motor inside the removable cowl.  The tape is to make sure the nose did not take off without the rest of the airplane.  ;D

It flew fine, landed fine and the three circuits of the field were uneventful.  Brown underwear neither needed nor made. ;D

Frank

ps: I could not post the photo until the computer co-operated.

Andy Hoffer

Congrats @Frank v B !  Your Stinson looks great, and I really like your very artistic low lighting angle which illuminates the starboard side from within, showing both the fuselage structure and shadows cast by the windscreen framing.   You are getting seriously good at this.  i think you are ready for a DSLR!  8)

Andy