Park 480 Question :)

Started by imran1042, October 06, 2013, 10:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imran1042

I was wondering if anyone has tried a 13X6.5 APC prop with a park 480 and a 40amp ESC. I don't have a amp or watt meter and I can't find anything on other forums.
Can the motor and ESC handle it?  I don't fine www.ecalc.ch very accurate

Thanks
Any day at the field is a good day :)

Michael

Not a good idea.
That's more than the maximum 12/6 recommended by E-Flite.

Why do you want to use such a big prop?
What are you trying to do?

How many cells do you want to use?

Give more information, and I'll try to guide you.

Michael

Ededge2002

Quote from: imran1042 on October 06, 2013, 10:02:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried a 13X6.5 APC prop with a park 480 and a 40amp ESC. I don't have a amp or watt meter and I can't find anything on other forums.
Can the motor and ESC handle it?  I don't fine www.ecalc.ch very accurate

Thanks

The Park480 is a good reliable motor with lots of users.  I have used a couple and there isn't much better prop for it than the 12x6E.  What was it you find its lacking?  If your looking for more speed the way to get it is with a 11x7 but I never found it any faster per say.  The alternative if your looking for more thrust but less speed is the 13x4E but I found the spool up response slower and the motor bogs down because of the larger diameter.  One option I can say that you might try if the prop isn't going to touch the ground is the Xoar E props of the same size.  they are lighter and spin up fast and seem to make good pull.  The drawback is price and fragility.

Nothing is free.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

imran1042

I wanted a bigger prop for my funtana as i want faster vertical speed. I'm using a 3s 2200.

Michael

The speed control is rated up to 40 amps, and the 480 motor is rated maximum 25 to 30 amps.

A 13/6.5 prop will burn something out.

If you want more speed, go to a smaller diameter and higher pitch.

As Ed suggested, an 11/7 will probably be the most the system can handle.

You can try a 9/9 prop, and although you might have a bit more speed, your plane may be sluggish in taking off due to the smaller pitch.

A Funtana is a 3D and aerobatic model.
If you use a prop meant for speed, aerobatic performance will suffer.
Michael

Ededge2002

Vertical punch requires static thrust.  Nothing about 3D is "speed" power yes but not speed.  The 13x6.5 prop will turn slower than the 12x6 as it loads the motor more and you WILL get the exact opposite result as you desire.  I would say try the wood xoar props the local shop can get them in and they are substantially lighter than the common APC.  Another thing to do is to reduce weight.  Lighter weight is FREE power!  Take anything you don't "need" off the plane.

APC 12x6 is            24g
APC 13x4 is            27g
XOAR  PJN12x6 is    18g

The numbers don't seem like much but imagine the effort to accelerate that weight AND the aerodynamic load.

http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propellers/electric-props/PJN-Electric-Beechwood-Propeller/
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

imran1042

okay, thanks guys. I'll get xoar prop