Float Flying 2014!

Started by piker, January 20, 2014, 06:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Wingnutz on January 25, 2014, 09:58:30 AM
Okay, I woosed out on trying to smuggle the lipos as chocolate bars. The little Cub takes really small batteries so I might have gotten away with it but the $50 000 first offence fine scared me off.
The Cub survived the trip in my checked bag but the box was ripped apart on one corner and will require a strap to hold it together for the return trip.
I'm heading in to Graves the biggest hobby shop in the Orlando area to buy some batteries and I'll ask about air travel with lipos. It's only forecast to hit + 16ish today....still beats -16!

Should be nice float flying weather at TEMAC tomorrow!  Wind chill -15C to -12C in the afternoon (winds S at 16 kmh).  With snow pants , snow boots, parka, toque and a scarf it will feel just like Orlando.  AND I won't have to put on sunblock!! :D

Have fun in the sun!!

Andy

piker

The first float fly of 2014 is less than 2 weeks away!

So, you may be thinking... but the snow is still melting, the field's a sloppy mess, and the temperatures only just moved above the deep freeze mark...

Well, I was thinking the same thing until I paid a visit to our unofficial float flying site yesterday, and found a clean and clear pit area, a clear and clean launching beach, and weed free, excellent float flying water.

then it occurred to me.  This time of year is an excellent time for float flying at Frenchman's Bay.  There will be very little boat traffic and the weeds haven't grown up yet.  In fact, his early spring may be the best time for float flying at FB!

So, if you're interested in float flying, start getting ready so we can kick off the season with a great time on April 19th from 4:30pm til dark.  I'll be there with my planes and the rescue boat ready to go!

I'll post a reminder closer to the date.

I took this picture yesterday (April 6, 2014):

Woops!  I can't upload a picture.  Oh well, you'll have to believe me and use your imagination.

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

Quote from: battlestu on April 07, 2014, 10:16:09 AM
i feel like Sgt Schultz... i see nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

Ya...  I've been trying to upload a picture but something is broke!

piker

Let's try that photo upload again...

sihinch

Looks almost good enough to jump in and swim in.  Positively tropical in the photo!  ;D

fprieto

imran1042

Any day at the field is a good day :)

piker

Another nice evening at the Bay last night!

(April 10, 2014)

Papa

That's nice, when my plane goes out of control over the trees you will be able to see it to recover. No leaves to block your view!

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Well, I WAS going to mention that another benefit of flying this time of year, is the greater visibility because of the bare trees :)

piker

Sunday evening at FB.

I'm mounting floats on my new Toledo Special.  I hope to fly it on Saturday evening!

gmcnic

It looks so tranquil and inviting!

Here's wishing for good weather as I am hoping to water-taxi test and maybe maiden the Beaver before it gets decorated too much.  (The more it sits beside me, the more I want to fiddle with it.)  Never done float flying before.

Meantime, this is calming and one of my favs.
http://youtu.be/QXweYglFxSo

piker

Nice Video Graham.  That's a narrow runway!

Bigstik

Question for Andy. How do you have the water rudders rigged on your Beaver?

It looks as if you have extra lines to the rudder?????

Bigstik
Bigstik