Float Flying 2014!

Started by piker, January 20, 2014, 06:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

I'm started this new thread for the 2014 Float Flying season, so you know where to look when you want to find out where the REAL fun is   ;D

So, by my detailed calculations, we are already mid-way through the off season for float flying and I'm starting to get the itch to get back to the lake, bay, or pond.  The good times will be here again before we know it, so keep working on those float planes!

Well, I decided to stop by one of our favourite spots yesterday (Frenchman's Bay) and even though it was quite windy and rough on the lake side, the bay side was nice and calm.  Even the wind surfers were out.  I took a picture of our pit area, then I wanted to see how well my new truck tires worked in the water, so I dove out to our landing strip and took a picture for ya.

Anyway.  I'm looking forward to another (even better) season of float flying to come.  I hope you are too!

sihinch

Was your truck actually on the lake there, Robert?

Yo crazy man!

wollins

At last I'll be joining you guys with something to fly! Yippee!  ;D

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Andy Hoffer

I like that awesome battery charger and the 3700S BL fan motor in the background of your first photo!  :D

Andy

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on January 20, 2014, 10:52:22 PM
Oh Andy, you're a card!

Hey! You know how it is.  You've got to promote your company's products!!

I was also going to tell him about the fabulous "white-water" float flying at TEMAC this past weekend, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. :D

piker

Yes, Simon, it was out about 50ft.  I drove onto the ice down near the end of the road where the canoe club is located.  There was a ramp, of sorts, onto the ice.  It also gave me a chance to exercise the 4x4   ;D  Believe me, I wouldn't have gone out there is there were not already several trucks out on the ice.  Much further out than I went.  I had never driven on a frozen body of water before so it was quite liberating  :)

I actually thought about joining the white water float fly (great name) on Saturday, but something kept me at home.  Can't remember what.  Was it windy?  It looks like a lot of fun and I hope to enjoy flying from the white stuff before the end of the winter.  Oh wait!  I know what it was.  The snow around my area was frozen and crusty.  I figured it would be to abrasive for floats.  I see you had a nice layer of fresh snow at TEMAC.  Oh well.

And Colin.  I certainly hope that's true  :D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on January 21, 2014, 09:42:10 AM
I actually thought about joining the white water float fly (great name) on Saturday, but something kept me at home.  Can't remember what.  Was it windy?  It looks like a lot of fun and I hope to enjoy flying from the white stuff before the end of the winter.  Oh wait!  I know what it was.  The snow around my area was frozen and crusty.  I figured it would be to abrasive for floats.  I see you had a nice layer of fresh snow at TEMAC.  Oh well.

The wind was very tame  (W at about 10 kmh, gusting 15) and was definitely less than forecast (W @ 20 kmh).  The new snow (about 4 cm) was light and fluffy.  Lots of nice rooster tails!  Hope we see you next time.  Hoepfully this weekend will work out.  Forecast is cold and dry all weeek, then new snow and still sub-zero on the weekend.

Cheers!

Andy

Wingnutz

Saturday's Float Flight of the Beaver was my fourth White Water Float Fly of 2014. Andy keeps turning into the scale police and lecturing me on the "unscaleness" of float flying off snow and then uses photos of a floatplane on snow!
Can't make the White Water Float Fly this weekend...will be in Orlando and will send some pictures of blue water or green grass float flying! My UMX Cub has floats and fits in my suitcase!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Wingnutz

Attached is my UMX Cub in its "scratch" built foam travel case (smaller than the HH box). Second photo is the foam case in my suitcase...guess I won't be taking too many clothes. Hoping my Multiplex Merlin will fit too. It's designed for travel and its box is designed as a travel case.

Ededge2002

Is that your carry on bag?  If not I would try to make it so it is.  Sure the foam container could protect the plane from its own weight but the other 20kg bags that will be stacked and bumped up against that one might cause damage.  This concern would be cleared if the outer bag was of the hard case variety.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Wingnutz

Suitcase is the max airline allowable...way too big for carry-on! I'm sitting in the airport breakfast bar waiting for my flight to take off so I'll know on a few hours whether the Cub survived! What does everybody else do about airline travel withe lipos? The airlines are getting fussy about lithium batterie a.

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on January 24, 2014, 09:45:00 AM
What lipos, Officer??

I believe Cadbury makes a chewy chocolate bar with the same x-ray signature as LiPos.  Just put your LiPos in the candy bag and you're good to go.  I believe Simon can provide the necessary technical product specs.  (Just be sure not to eat a Lipo by mistake.  They leave a nasty tingly after-taste.)  :D

Andy

Wingnutz

Okay, I woosed out on trying to smuggle the lipos as chocolate bars. The little Cub takes really small batteries so I might have gotten away with it but the $50 000 first offence fine scared me off.
The Cub survived the trip in my checked bag but the box was ripped apart on one corner and will require a strap to hold it together for the return trip.
I'm heading in to Graves the biggest hobby shop in the Orlando area to buy some batteries and I'll ask about air travel with lipos. It's only forecast to hit + 16ish today....still beats -16!