Big Bobber PlanePrint 3D Printed Build

Started by davidk, March 23, 2021, 11:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Beautiful @davidk !  I see you printed yourself a nice pair of frames for your glasses.  You should add some nice aircraft logos to the temples.  Rob Dickinson ( @octagon ) will be SO envious!! 8)

Andy

Michael

The model looks fantastic!

The wings are cool!
Michael

GuyOReilly

davidk

The Ailerons and Flaps each come in two pieces, joined by 1 connector and glued together.
Then, TPU hinges are used to attach them to the wing.  The wings are done.  The ribbing is subtle, but looks great.
Next... electronics.

Frank v B

What a neat technology.... properly shepherded by Mr. Kates.
If you could have described and shown this technology to someone in the '50's and '60's they would have checked you into the psychiatric ward. :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Electronics are going in.  PlanePrint gives you 3 choices for Servos... you print the specific Servo housings for the ones you choose.
Motor mount is printed in PLA.  These could be printed in PETG for better strength and heat resistance, but in this case it's a standard metal X bracket directly on the motor, which screws into these motor mounts.  The mounts are far enough away from the motor so heat shouldn't be a problem.  In some printed planes, the motor is screwed directly into a printed motor mount.  However, these are usually replaced with wood... just in case.

davidk

Motor and ESC are in and the motor cover is glued together and then screwed into place.
Elevator and Rudder Servos go into a servo tray that is then screwed into the fuselage.  There is space for 3 servos, one of those being for a tow coupling.  I'm not putting that one in.
1.5mm CF rods move through guide holes in the frame.
The wing servo locations have support material that need to be cut away.  I used a hot knife and then cleaned up with a sharp blade.  The wings have printed tubes in the frame for wiring.
The Ailerons are taped to the wing tip and the Flaps are taped to the Ailerons... all nice and straight.  1mm wire is used for the wing servo connecting rods.