Table top covering

Started by davidk, January 01, 2021, 02:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

I want to cover my nice building table top with something I can mess up.  It's a 30x60 table.  I'm going to be assembling, gluing, 3D printed planes.

I'm not building with balsa, so I don't think I want to use the insulation sheets you all like.

I was thinking of a thin particle board, or fibreboard.  I found a white hardboard 1/8 x 4 x 8 for $20 at Homedepot.  I wonder if that will work?

bfeist

I highly recommend plexiglass. I covered my workbench 15 years ago and it's still holding strong.

sihinch

pmackenzie

I like drywall. You say you won't be pinning into it, but still it is nice and flat (and cheap)

octagon

I agree with Pat. I only use drywall on the top of my table. It holds pins well, is easy to cut to size and is cheap. My table is 60 inches long by 30 inches wide so I get 4 disposable table tops out of one sheet of drywall. When it gets to gouged up, covered in spilled glue and paint and coffee, I just turn it over and have a fresh new side.
What could possibly go wrong?

davidk

Thanks guys, I knew you'd have some good solutions.

RogMason

Hi David et Al,
Happy New Year Chaps.
David, I concur with Rob. I am not a builder but I'd suggest drywall. It's cheap, it's rigid/flat and can be replaced quickly when it gets well used.
Both Rob and I had a good friend who was a prolific builder and he used drywall. It was really flat and  terrific for assembly of wings, fuselage halves etc.
'Roger That...'