Online Membership Application?

Started by Papa, October 21, 2013, 09:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an online application process?

Using PayPal with online application?
14 (77.8%)
Using online application but sending a cheque by mail?
2 (11.1%)
Sticking with the mail for both?
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: November 10, 2013, 08:25:25 PM

Papa

The advantage of the online application is speed, accuracy and reduced work load for Andy.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

pmackenzie

Another payment option would be interac e-transfer.
Slightly lower cost than Paypal, and charged to the sender.
Depends on your bank how much, for me it is $1.00 no matter how much is sent.

Pat MacKenzie

Papa

Thank you Pat, I'll look into that.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

dangaras

Paypal may be 3% but it is easily integrated into an application form and is easily processed as the funds are directly deposited into an account, no overhead for the person responsible for guy dues.

EMT will be untenable. With EMT you have to process each transaction individually and have to arrange security questions and answers between each sender and the recipient.

piker

Paypal is fine if you have an account set-up and you have money in there.  I rarely use it, but when I need to transfer money, in or out, it seems to take a week. 

Interac e-transfer can be easily done if you are signed up for online banking and doesn't require time to load funds and wait a week.  At least that's been my experience.  I guess I'm just not much of a Paypal user.

Robert

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on October 21, 2013, 10:58:09 PM
Paypal is fine if you have an account set-up and you have money in there.  I rarely use it, but when I need to transfer money, in or out, it seems to take a week. 

Interac e-transfer can be easily done if you are signed up for online banking and doesn't require time to load funds and wait a week.  At least that's been my experience.  I guess I'm just not much of a Paypal user.

Robert

You can use PayPal with no delay if you provide your bank account info to them.  PayPal payments are processed immediately via funds withdrawn from your bank account.  No funds have to reside with PayPal.  When funds come into your PayPal account, you can transfer them immediately back to your bank account.

Andy

Michael

Michael

pmackenzie

You do have a point about the security question, but surely it is a lot less work than cashing a cheque  :)

As far as linking PP to a bank account - no way. I use a credit card.
That way if PP doesn't have your back the credit card company will. Of course my Paypal only really goes one way - outgoing :)

The bit about 3% being not much gets me. We bitch and moan about GST/PST/HST, but at least that gets us something.
(You know, the society we live in)
The 3% that Paypal takes, or that we give to the banks and credit card companies on almost every purchase we make
enriches mainly them, and we let them get away with it.

bfeist

Poll results may be skewed given that we're asking active online forum users whether to use an online payment service :)

Papa

Granted but I did e-mail the link to all.

What else should I do?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Ededge2002

I will pay cash. 

I have to because my spouse "claims" that all my purchases are at hobby stores or the beer store...  I will claim I bought socks and underwear with the cash to account for it.  (she doesn't realize I haven't warn underwear in years)
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

Just tell her it's your annual contribution to your addiction support group!

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Ededge2002 on October 22, 2013, 06:10:35 PM
I will pay cash. 

I have to because my spouse "claims" that all my purchases are at hobby stores or the beer store...  I will claim I bought socks and underwear with the cash to account for it.  (she doesn't realize I haven't warn underwear in years)

THAT would explain the surprised look!

sts41

Interac has another way to pay that does not require a password interchanged.... It is called Interac Online Service... I use this for Presto, Telus, and here is the biggy, the Canada Revenue Service, yes you can make your tax payments to CRS using this service.
If the government trust it.... OK... so that isn't a great comparison....but it is 1) EASY, and 2) FAST.

Not sure how hard it is to setup for a merchant... But here is the website:

http://www.interac.ca/en/interac-online

Steve