wanted - coloured food wrap

Started by eric, October 11, 2014, 01:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

I'm trying to locate coloured food wrap - cling film like Reynolds Wrap or Glad, that kind of thing. Reynolds doesn't make it anymore (I've been in contact with the company) and no one else seems to sell anything but transparent film. It makes great covering material for indoor flyers and I've exhausted my stock. I'll buy any colour anyone might have to spare. Enclosed are pictures of 2 of my indoor models covered in out of production Saran Wrap so you can see what I'm talking about. There are a few Chinese firms selling commercial wrap, but minimum order is usually 1,000 kilos; just a tad more than I need.

Thanks!

Eric

Papa

You could always use tissue and dope!

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

eric

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've got lots of tissue and dope, but its too labour intensive and fragile for todays indoor scene. Everyone's rocketing around the gym at warp speed with those cursed Beasts, P-51s, etc., running eveything down in sight. If they even touch me its 2 or 3 hours minimum of labour to repair. I have one stick and tissue plane left and it looks like its been through the wars. My home built planes fly slooowly, so they're perfect targets for the Kamikaze set.
Cling film goes on with a glue stick and shrinks over a 100 watt light bulb with no warping of the structure. Quick, way tougher than tissue, looks great and repairs in minutes. My fave for sure.

Papa

How about Dollarama or Party Packers?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Frank v B

re: Eric's:

"with those cursed Beasts, P-51s, etc., running eveything down in sight."

A culture of crashing exists at an indoor club!!  Heaven forbid :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

eric

Hi Jack;
I tried all the Dollar Stores, gift stores, Department stores, etc. within a large radius of me. Most have transparent cellophane in lovely colours but its quite thick and not very pliable. I bought a few rolls of different types anyway and they're all pretty much useless for my purposes. They don't shrink well at all, stay wrinkly and are a pain to attach.
I've tried spray painting, brush painting, food colouring, magic markers, everything I can think of on clear Saran Wrap, but no joy; nothing seems to stick or apply evenly. I guess I'm going to have to start building with Depron; just have to give up the stick and tissue (or cling film) mindset I guess.
Hi Frank;
Yeah, there is a "culture of crashing" in indoor for sure. When you've got $100 and no time invested in building a foamy that just bounces on impact and continues flying, mid airs are a giggle a minute. When you've got a lot of hours invested in a home built, home designed fragile model that takes an evening to repair after being run down from behind, well, somehow its not so much fun. We're lucky at the indoor club I belong to. We have 15 minutes every hour where only scratch or kit built slow flyers are allowed, so that's great. The rest of the time I'll mix it up in the general flying slot with my indestructible RTF's. Its all good.
Eric

bweaver

My wife tells me that coloured food wrap comes out about Christmas time.  She hasn't bought if for years. but it might be something to keep your eyes open for.

eric

Hi Bruce;

Thanks for responding. I do remember it being on the shelves at Christmas time, but I actually spoke to a Reynold's rep and she told me they were discontinuing that as it wasn't profitble enough. If I'd have known, I'd have bought a few cases! Wal Mart's website lists it as well, but I tried there and the salespeople had never heard of it. It's an anti-modeller conspiracy I tell ya!

Eric