Passover - it's a small world

Started by Michael, March 27, 2013, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

So, I'm at this orthodox Passover seder (dinner) later Monday night, and of course the discussion eventually gets to RC model airplanes, and this lady, her name is Marci asks me if I know this really nice friend of hers who also flies model airplanes: his name is Simon Hinchcliffe.   ;D
Michael

Papa

Quote from: Michael on March 27, 2013, 03:50:22 PM
this really nice friend of hers who also flies model airplanes: his name is Simon Hinchcliffe.   ;D

Really Nice and Simon in the same sentence??? She probably doesn't really know him like we do.!!!! LOL.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Yea I figured he just added the "really nice" part to make the story better.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Skyking

Thanks for sharing the story.
Anyone who knows Simon would agree.
Hope you had a good seder.
Ken
Actually, I can.

Michael

Thanks Ken.

Our seders were great.

At the seder, we ate a lot of matzah, unleavened bread (think of it as rock-hard toasted cardboard, but it doesn't taste as good as cardboard).

As Jews, we have a lot of commandments to follow, and I can assure you, eating matzah is a binding commandment.  ;D

If anyone has ever eaten a lot of matzah, I'm sure you'll understand.
Michael

Frank v B

The world is waaayyy too small!!

Last Sunday I met a grade 9 student and his parents at a park (Rosehill reservoir, Yonge and St Clair) to test fly an RC plane the kid had designed and built for a school science project.  All my coaching was via internet on drawings. This was set up through John's Hobbies.  Have never met this kid before. 

The parents came over to me and said: 
"you were a sailor, you have a brother named Ernie, you used to live on Salonica Road, you sailed for Dr Simmons on an Alberg 37, your parents moved back to Holland in 1971...."  I thought the KGB had done a background check!  Holy crap.

The kid's father grew up directly behind our house and I met him at least 2 times.... when I was 13 years old!!  I lived in that house from '64-'71.  He pieced it together when he saw my full name on the e-mails to answer his son's design questions.

Oh, yes, the plane flew!!  The kid was beside himself and the mother's eyes started to tear.  A great feeling.

Help a kid.  A rewarding experience.  Guaranteed the kid will remember last Sunday as long as he lives. :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

thehaze

He would have remembered it more if you crashed...  :)

Kidding,

That's a nice story. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Mike,

Ok, I will come clean...  First toss it fell out of the sky.  It dove left when I had full right aileron and rudder inputs.  Firewall/motor broke off.  So you were right Mike.
I went home and sent him an e-mail with 6 changes including more elevator throw, more aileron throw, right thrust, set elevator horn at 90 degrees to the surface (it was pointed forward) and a larger prop.  Then raced off to the TEMAC meeting.

He did the work while I was at the Pilot's meeting.  We met again at 6:30 pm and it flew 2 full circuits before I had to ditch it because of trees.  But it flew.  Still not enough turn authority.  Homework is to enlarge the stab (more span, more area) and elevator (extend to full span).  This flight happened at Bennington Heights School (Bayview and Moore).

Oh, yes... a huge  ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Wow! Marci - that's cool. I miss her. In the Company split last year we found ourselves working on different sides of the company.

Thanks for posting Michael - it's prompted me to get in touch with her. I said I'd bring her son, Ryan, to TEMAC to see what all the fuss was about.

Happy Passover!

Michael

Thanks Simon, and Happy Easter to everyone!
Michael

pmackenzie

Quote from: Michael on March 27, 2013, 08:12:46 PM
Thanks Ken.

Our seders were great.

At the seder, we ate a lot of matzah, unleavened bread (think of it as rock-hard toasted cardboard, but it doesn't taste as good as cardboard).

I have no idea why, but we used to eat matzah all the time when we were kids.
I bought some last fall just to try it again,and I  actually still like it.

Pat MacKenzie