Going FASST!

Started by Ededge2002, April 03, 2013, 04:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I just managed to program my first model in my 9XR.  I could get used to this programming stuff!!!!

I did flaperons and throttle kill, plus the regular DR and expo!

Ededge2002

Once you get onto the programing its a sinch.
A cool feature of the radio I noticed when I was looking it over was the dual trainer plugs!  Futaba AND Spekrtum!  What a great feature.  There are many ways programing the radio can make a tough plane to fly much more tame.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

pmackenzie

I am sure most users of other systems are thinking - big deal. :)

But once you have the hang of er9X it can do things that are generally impossible with any other radio.

For example, how about reducing aileron throw on a delta wing in proportion to throttle position?
So at high speed you have lower rates than when gliding. (Or conversly increased throws while gliding)

Or putting aileron differential or something like rudder to elevator mixing on a knob so you can tweak it in flight?

I think the SD10 G can do the latter, but not sure there are any other radios that can. Certainly no "name brand" at anywhere near the price of the 9XR.

The Taranis from FrSky is coming out soon. For $200 it will be just about impossible to match in features, no matter what you pay.
On screen telemetry that can trigger audio messages. Flip a switch and the radio can tell you what flight mode you just selected. 16 channels.
PC application for programming, transferring models and firmware updates. SD card. headphone jack.
Hopefully the hardware (sticks and switches) is as good as the firmware. The one I held at Toledo seemed pretty good, and the production gimbals are supposed to be better again.

About the only thing it does not have is a colour touch screen or a roller for data entry.

Pat MacKenzie

sihinch

Quote from: pmackenzie on April 20, 2013, 04:03:16 PM
But once you have the hang of er9X it can do things that are generally impossible with any other radio.

For example, how about reducing aileron throw on a delta wing in proportion to throttle position?

Pat MacKenzie

This got me thinking, Pat.  I have a Tornado F3 EDF with swing wings.  I could program the 9XR to have smaller aileron and elevator throws with the wings forward, and increase them as the wing sweeps.  I could even put the sweep of the wing on one of the potentiometer/variable switches, and then adjust the throws accordingly.

Can you give me a hint on how I may do that? Just to get me started?

Thanks!

pmackenzie

Tell me what surface is on what channel, and what switch/pot or combination of the two you want to use to swing the wings and I will see what i can figure out.

Is the swing wing on a servo or something like a mechanical retract mechanism? If a servo, would you want it to move slowly or as quick as possible?

Pat MacKenzie

Ededge2002

little tiny antennas.

attached there are a couple photos of my instalation of the FASST reciever antenas.  PLEASE critique, knit pick and scrutinize the photos as im looking for any flaw to how ive done them.   after all YOU have to stand on the field beside me!

Orange plane: 
Enigma F5B 72" span 4lbs and well over 100mph
Carbon wing and carbon tow in the fuse.
Futaba R617FS receiver
taped to sides of the fuse in a downwards direction.  90degrees opposing.

Yellow plane:
StratAir Pyro 33" span 14oz and 150mph
Carbon wing and carbon tow in the fuse.
Futaba R6106HFC receiver
1/64ply mounting fin with tape.

Please any reply would be appreciated.  Even a couple of Robert Pike "looks good"  's would let me know

pmackenzie

You would get more informed responses by posting over in the High Performance section on RCG.
On my DLGs I just let the whiskers hang in the breeze, I don't tape them down to the fuse.

Pat MacKenzie

Ededge2002

posted on rcg.  I have a thread going there too about this.

as for taping them down the wiskers can suffer metal fatigue and fail from the high wind speeds these types of planes encounter.  The US F5B team used this method and had no troubles/failures

Thanks i do appreciate the input.

sihinch

Quote from: pmackenzie on April 20, 2013, 07:17:12 PM
Tell me what surface is on what channel, and what switch/pot or combination of the two you want to use to swing the wings and I will see what i can figure out.

Is the swing wing on a servo or something like a mechanical retract mechanism? If a servo, would you want it to move slowly or as quick as possible?

Pat MacKenzie

Hi Pat,

Currently I am using my DX7s for this plane. The swing wing is on a servo controlled by the 3 position flap switch. So I have full forward, middle swept and fully swept back. I added a slow-down to smooth the movement.

Ideally I would have different throws and different expo for both aileron and elevator, based on the wing position. Ailerons are 2 servos on a Y lead. Same for elevators.

I'd be happy to continue using the 3 position flap switch on the 9XR.

Thanks for your help!

Ededge2002

Y leads????  say no to Y leads!

flaperons and elevons AND swing wings!  It would be impossible to fly normaly but the radio could do it!!!!

would make it so you could disable it though as that is a lot going on to get set up lol

pmackenzie

Using the three position switch makes it easy.

Assign it to the flap servo channel (I will pick ch5 but it could be anything)

ch5     +100% 3POS

You can adjust each of the three positions in the LIMITS page.

If your 9XR has the original HK firmware it may not have 3POS, so the mix would look like:

ch5   -100%    FULL  IDO
R       0%       FULL    ID1
R     +100% FULL    ID2

Rates for each position can be assigned to the same switch.
See the first image below (from the companion9X transmitter simulator) to see what the switch assignments look like.
!IDO   means "Not" ID0,   in other words it is On when ID0 is OFF.  AKA logical negation  :)

Then it is simply a matter of setting the rates for each position of the switch as desired.

If you want the wings to sweep slowly then that is just a matter of putting values in the SLOW DOWN and SLOW UP feilds in the mixer editing window
(Second image below)

Rate changes will happen immediately, only the swing wing speed will be slowed down.

(Sorry Ed, we are dragging your thread waaayy off topic - perhaps we should start a new one?)

pmackenzie

I agree - no reason to use Y leads with er9X.

Initially you could simply use the channel output as the input to the second surface, basically electronic Y lead them
This would give you reversing, subtrim and limits for all surfaces with no real "programming" required,
So for second aileron on ch6 and first on ch2 it would simply be"
CH6  +100% ch2

Second elevator would be similar. Assuming no rudder you could use ch5"

ch5  +100% ch3

You could reverse the second channel by either inverting it in the limits menu, or changing the mix weight to -100%.

Later on you could start to get tricky and add things like differential, flaperons, elevator to flaperon mix, taileron mixing, whatever you can dream up.

sihinch

Sorry Ed! Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I did debate starting a new one but thought that anyone following (to learn/for interest) may lose the info!!!

Thanks so much Pat.  Makes logical sense. I'll have a play with it.

Using Y leads at present on 4 channel RX.  Could swap to a 6 but on the Tornado I don't want flaperons. So I was OK with the Ys.

Ededge2002

After range testing. checking and checking again i flew these two models today.  +50 paces in range testing all solid. 

No troubles to report.  I acualy think BOTH models despite being basicly maiden flights again flew better than they ever had.   The little Pyro pylon is realy getting its groove on and with a little tweaking will be perfect.  The Enigma holiner was great too!  I moved some travels around when I re set everything up and it was terrific!  Even managed to catch some lift and stayed up without power for 12:30minutes  that is when I wasnt burning up the sky with it!

great day!  Think the sun had anything to do with it?

sihinch

Was a great day. I loved the Pyro again and I'm sorry I missed the Enigma.

Are you sure they're FASSTer Ed???