2013-69 TEMAC Tickler, Robert Pike Special.

Started by Papa, November 21, 2013, 02:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Quote from: bfeist on November 22, 2013, 02:20:20 AM
Bragging aside, how the heck did I become captain of a team with Robert Pike on it for Piker class racing? Want to trade spots Rob?

It's easy to make up some rules and then have some kind people use your name for a race series, but it's not so easy to win a race against a bunch of very skilled pilots with a thirst for world domination.  I'm honoured to be on YOUR team as you flew well and performed consistently.  You earned the lofty rank of Team Captain.  I'm just glad I'm not on Ed's or Simon's team as I'd hate to have to "school" my own team captain next race season.

sihinch

How's that build of your wannabe racer going Piker? Need any help with motor choice?????

piker

It's still in R&D phase.  You can't rush perfection!

Ededge2002

Quote from: piker on November 22, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

I will try to remember to slow down long enough to take a look at it as I lap you!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

imran13

Hold it you can put me as a maybe instead of Imran H because I'm not sure if I'll have a plane for the series yet but I think I'm going to build one from scratch and see how that goes. I'll let you know what happens.
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Papa

Hi Imran, It looks like we may be placing an order for more Nooners and there are a group who are planning own design. Maybe some of them will work with you and share their plans. it's great to see you wanting to race, I know you will be very competitive and have lot's of fun.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

imran13

Thanks Jack.

The reason I want to build one myself is because the scratch building class material (kit, electronics, covering, etc) will cost a fair amount and so I don't want to spend too much money on a nooner.
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

piker

Quote from: Ededge2002 on November 22, 2013, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: piker on November 22, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

I will try to remember to slow down long enough to take a look at it as I lap you!

Thank you, Ed.  That would be very considerate of you  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Michael on November 21, 2013, 04:07:57 PM
My promise to Team Captain Simon: I will actually practice this coming year.

I'm with Michael on this one. Lots of practice.  I flew today (after pre-heating my batteries inside my snow pants, of course) and everything ran nice and cool, with the air a balmy -7 degrees C, and wind chill at a modest -11C and winds NW at 19 kmh!   Lots of fun getting all the snow out of the motor and body after landing.  :D

Definitetly ski time at TEMAC!

Andy

sihinch

I commend your commitment, Andy. And Michael.

Man, we're gonna kick butt this year!

Ededge2002

I would put a piece of tape over the chin scoop for winter flying. No need for the cooling and flooding the esc with snow/water on landing could have destructive results.
I did a nice long slide landing with my Nooner last winter and FILLED the fuse with snow
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Ededge2002 on November 24, 2013, 07:52:26 PM
I would put a piece of tape over the chin scoop for winter flying. No need for the cooling and flooding the esc with snow/water on landing could have destructive results.
I did a nice long slide landing with my Nooner last winter and FILLED the fuse with snow

Good solution!   But that would require far more foresight than I could ever muster in the excitement of a beautiful brisk winter day.  Fortunately my landing was only a few feet long, but that did suffice to fill the nose area (motor, ESC, Rx).  The four motor vents were also nicely packed.  Fortunately it was cool enough to avoid snow melt in the ESC.  I did have the presence of mind to not try a second flight, despite comprehensive fuselage snow clearing gyrations and exhortations.   :)