TEMAC Nooner racer build thread!!

Started by Ededge2002, February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I needed 2 servos because I'm going to use active-proportional-negative-flap response programming to get +15g in the turns........ ;D

Frank v B

Simon,

I hope you are planning to race sub-sonic. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

This plane is hypersonic! It's grease lightnin'!

thehaze

Well I started my build today after a trip to the LHS to get some hardware. Managed to epoxy the wing halves together without gluing myself to the plane, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.... :P

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

And there off!  Greg C probably test flew his before work this morning  heck he had the thing for 17hours by then.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Greg actually sold it last night, after building it, flying it and then realizing it wasn't a biplane!

Ededge2002

Or he is making TWO more wings for it!

Frank v B

Them's fightin' words.

Should be fun racing. 

Simon, with all of our talk, you and I will probably be battling it out for second last place. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

No way VB, that last spot's mine! You've no chance!!!

Ededge2002

I did a little work yesterday and didnt update the thread.  so today is a bit of a flood.  sorry.   

Covered the center section after glassing....  The red I had was WAY OFF so white actualy looked better...  no one will notice till simon is holding the trophy for a photo at the end anyway!

Re installed the wing servos and hardware.  Measured and aligned the wing to the fuse and drilled the wing mount hole.

Took a few minutes to soup up Simons race motor...  Wow talk about over kill!!

Soldered all the connections and wing servo extension harness..

Ededge2002

TYPE IN A HUGE POST ATTACH A BUNCH OF PICS THEN HIT "POST" AND HAVE YOUR COMPUTER CRASH....

Swear a couple times, have a beer and wait a few minutes before doing it all over again.

Ededge2002

To get the plane to be fairly balanced without the battery I installed everything except the elevator servo and assembled the plane.  With the CG marked I moved the servo up and down the fuse to see where to put it to get it to come to CG range.  Yes there are medications for these troubles! 

marking the fuse with tape of the location, make or find in the old Rifle parts bag the elevator servo mount you never used and position the servo in its location to measure and bend the pushrod to length.  Figure out the servo throw required to get the recomended elevator travel (+ - 12degrees) Make fancy not for 3d elevator horn and install.  With everything centered install elevator servo.  Glue the elevator pushrod guide tube to the inside of the fuse.  Swear a couple times just for good measure. 

Picture showing battery position to get to cg.  this will allow almost any battery that fits to be able to get to CG required.

All up weight without battery or rx...  Not bad at all if I do say so myself!!

Ededge2002

I hope this thread had provided at least someone some insight into building this airframe.  If anything else I hope I provided some one to laugh at. 

Quote "Lets get ready to........"  SHUT UP AND FLY!!

sihinch

Awesome job, Ed! Thank you.

And great, great write up.

Let's race! Oh no, what's that remind me of?

piker

Hey Ed!  Thanks for the insights into the build.  Now we can all improve on Simon's set-up  ;D

That "secret weapon" motor rebuild looks fiece!  Simon will have some serious horse power in his plane.

Gee... I wonder if Simon bought a few extra Nooners with the group buy... to have on hand for those of us who crash mid-season... I'm just planning ahead for my summer of racing.

Simon.  We need a better phrase... how about "Start your engines!" ... oh wait... that doesn't work.

Maybe "Plug in your batteries!"...  nah... doesn't have the same effect...

How about "Time to roll and pull!" ....  hmmmmm