repair advice

Started by battlestu, May 12, 2014, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

Just looking to have a back up plane for the races. So i need some help/advice on how best to fix up my nooner.

Take a peek at the attached shots and let advice fly :)

Greg

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Mine was like that. My repair process was:

1) Thin CA to stabilize it
2) Glass cloth and epoxy to reinforce and re-shape
3) Some carbon tow to further strengthen (I can give you some)
4) filler then paint

Holding up so far

Polecat

Greg  That is a easy fix, just glass the inside of the fuselage where it is cracked, using 1 1/2 oz. or 2oz. fiber glass cloth, use a good slow drying epoxy [the same stuff for glassing the center of foam wings]
The fuselage is not completely broken but you might tack it together with a little thin C/A.
After glassing, brush some epoxy in the cracks on the outside of the fuselage, after it is dried, mix up epoxy and mico balloons into a thick filler and fill the cracks. If you don't have mico balloons use corn starch or baby power.
Sand, prime and paint.
A little work 3-4 evenings.
Just keep the weight down
Hope this helps.

Ken

Frank v B

Greg,

If you want, I will bring some micro balloons for you on Wednesday.  Ken's suggested method will work and is easy.  The only thing I would add is to put wax paper over the micro balloons and shape the wax paper to the fuselage.  Once the epoxy has cured and waxed paper is removed there is a good chance no sandpaper will be required.

If you get stuck or frustrated, throw the plane in my car and I will fix it.  It will fly again.  Then I will try to beat the crap out of you on the race course. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

battlestu

thanks for the advice guys!

what ratio of  epoxyy/micro balloons do i mix together?
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

Depends on the strength requirements, but I've found that it's best to try to get the mixture as dry as possible as it'll become impossible to mix (too dry) well before it loses too much strength.  The dryer it is, the lighter it'll be and the easier it will be to sand.  That's the goal.

BTW, thoroughly mix the epoxy first, then add the filler.  That way you ensure you get a good resin mix.

Frank v B

Greg,

Translation of Piker the Carbon Bike Guy's recipe... in plain English: the consistency of margarine or peanut butter*

Frank

*... at room temperature.
"Never trade luck for skill"