Frenchman's Bay Float Fly - Saturday August 9th!!

Started by piker, August 06, 2014, 06:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Yikes!  It feels like a long time since we've been float flying, and even longer since we've been to Frenchman's Bay in Pickering, as the last float fly was at Tavares Pond.

So...

I'm hoping we can have a great turnout for this coming Saturday, August 9th at 4:30pm for some awesome float flying fun.  The weather looks great!

I hope we'll finally see Colin's CL-415 Water Bomber flying, and hopefully Bill can make it, and bring his Macchi MC72 Schneider racer!  And I also hope that we can get Jack flying again now that he can see what he's doing... and of course it's always great to have the regulars out and especially new float flyers looking to see what all the talk is about.

If you have any questions, just ask here.

See ya at the beach!

Here's a map to the location:
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8167352,-79.1147209/43.8122371,-79.0922973/@43.8129031,-79.1015995,1434m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

eric

Although I have just one float plane here, my Wilga, I'll be out for sure. I'll also bring the cargo ship; anybody bringing any RC boats?

Eric

sihinch

Michael

I'll be entertaining out-of-town guests, but I'll do my best to try to persuade even one to come watch the float flying.  ;D
Michael

piker

piker

Quote from: eric on August 07, 2014, 04:05:29 PM
Although I have just one float plane here, my Wilga, I'll be out for sure. I'll also bring the cargo ship; anybody bringing any RC boats?

Eric

It'll be great to see you Eric!

piker

Quote from: Michael on August 08, 2014, 08:49:48 AM
I'll be entertaining out-of-town guests, but I'll do my best to try to persuade even one to come watch the float flying.  ;D

Well if they're "out-of-town"... no problem!   ;D

I hope you can make it.  The weather is looking very good for tomorrow.

piker

Depending on how busy it is at the Bay tomorrow, I may prefer to set-up and fly just a little further along the sand bar at the parking area shown with the red marker in the link below.

Chance are there will be a bunch of cars parked there so we'll have to use our usual flying spot, but if, when I show up, it looks promising at the new spot, we'll fly there.

There's not as much "pit" space there, but my motivation is to avoid the weeds in the water.  The weeds at our usual spot restrict our take-off and landing space, but just down the road a bit, the water is clear.

I'll assess the situation when I arrive.  Just be aware that if we're not at the usual place, we'll be at the other place.  Look for my trailer.

Directions to the potential alternate flying site from the normal one:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8122438,-79.0922874/43.8127617,-79.090199/@43.8121963,-79.0914361,346m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Also note that when parking on the road, where we usually fly, we must park on the lake side of the road.  I didn't realize until last time that there's no parking on the north/Bay side.  We don't want to annoy the By-law officers and get ourselves kicked out!

See Y'all at the beach!

sihinch

Quote from: piker on August 08, 2014, 10:03:34 AM

I know.  You're Duran Duran Dance Party...

Classic!  They don't write 'em like they used to!  That video got me dancing in my office!

Sadly it's not the 80s dance weekend this week.  That's the last Saturday of the month!  One of Les' friends bands are playing at the Island Marina, so we're going to watch.

piker

Oooo....  maybe we should come along and float fly there!   ;D

piker

The forecast for today and this evening is excellent!  It's going to be a wonderful evening at the Bay.  I hope many of you can make it to take advantage of this opportunity to float fly!

See ya there !

Papa

Sorry visiting old friends and Mary made an offer I daren't refuse.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

eric

Tonight had the best conditions I've ever seen for float flying. We had the perfect temperature, almost no wind and dead calm water to fly from - absolutely brilliant! Thanks to Rob for organizing.

Eric

battlestu

had to share this photo from tonight... it's Rob flying off into the the sunset ;)

Just as Eric said it was a great night and thanks a ton for organizing it Rob!

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Does that mean Rob's gone and not coming back for the race tomorrow?