Turnigy 9XR on sale

Started by sihinch, December 24, 2012, 02:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Posting to start a discussion about the new Turnigy 9 channel transmitter.  Selling for $49.99 and then another $30 for TX module. So $80 for a 9 channel DSM2/DSMX transmitter.

Do you electronics wizards out there think it will be much cop?

S

pmackenzie

cop?

Seems like it is just a 9X with ER9X firmware pre-installed. And possibly better gimbals (which would be good)

On the 9X forums they are a little mad, because HK seem to have violated the open source licensing agreement.
They modified the source code, so they should be making it and all their changes available. The changes seem to be minor, just some menu tweaks.

ER9X is very powerful by the way, you can do things with it that can't be done with many radios. But it is very different than other radios so many find it a little intimidating.

(Full disclosure -I am a bit biased here.  I am credited as one of the coders for ER9X, but my input was/is quite small.
Mainly some performance tweaks to reduce latency,fixing some small issues with  the PPM pulse generator and work on debugging the DSM2 implementation using the RF section from the BNF transmitters like the DX4e.
With a DX4e module and ER9X you get DSM2 and DSMX full range ability plus model match. But only 6 channels due to limitations of the module)

If you want to get an idea how the software on the transmitter works download eePe. It is full blown radio simulator that you can use to experiment with on your PC.
http://code.google.com/p/eepe/
It can also be used to access the real radio to backup the memory, and  update the firmware.
It is the sort of thing that JR and Futaba should have available.  ::)

There are at least three other firmwares being worked on that can also be used, and another PC based tool called
Companion9X that also acts as a radio simulator for all of them, and even lets you move models from one type to the other within the limits of each one capabilities.
Open9X is perhaps a bit more advanced in some areas than ER9X, but all of the firmwares borrow features from each other.

Pat MacKenzie

sihinch

Wow, Pat, thank you!

Cop in this context in English slang equates to "good", like is the radio any good.

And it sounds like it is OK, at very least.

I'm tempted!

Ededge2002

With this price, the HK following and the programing ability I bet the big guys are looking over there shoulder. If it has better reliability than the spectrum line has had this could be a real shot to them.  Let's hope it does nothing but improve things for us as buyers/modellers.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

pmackenzie

The ones they just sold out of have no RF module at all.

Probably the next batch will get a DSM2/DSMX module that might actually have a unique GUID,
Some Russian guy recently cracked the GUID to hopping sequence scheme that DSMX uses, so now HK just has to implement it.
(And get IC/FCC approvals, and perhaps beat the lawsuits from Spektrum)

Till then you could run FrSky, which is arguably more reliable than Spektrum anyway  :)

Or as I mentioned earlier, hack in the module from a DX4e.

Pat MacKenzie

sihinch

Can you help again, Pat. This may be a stupid question, so I'm sorry, but FrSky doesn't work with Spektrum/Orange DSM receivers, does it?

pmackenzie

No, only with FrSky D series (telemetry) and V series (one way).
(FrSky also makes Futaba compatible receivers. They won't work with the FrSky module)

FrSky receivers are about $20-$30, depending on the model.
Big advantage over most of the Spektrum stuff is failsafes on all channels, and long whiskers so you can get the active parts away from equipment or out of carbon fibre fuselages.
To get those features with Spektrum you have to buy the 6255 or the 9300 for a lot more money.

Pat MacKenzie

sihinch

Sorry to have to ask another basic question, Pat, but which FrSky module is required/best for the 9XR?

Thanks,
Simon

pmackenzie

For the 9X you need the JR style module. I have to assume the 9XR uses the same style.

You can get it from HK of course:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14349__FrSky_DJT_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Telemetry_Module_V8FR_II_RX.html
(Note this comes with a one way receiver so no telemetry. They don't seem to have the combo with a D series on HK)

But there is also a US based vendor who carries it. Prices are comparable

Module:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-transmiter-telemetry-module.html
Telemetry receiver
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-d8r-ii-plus-8-channel-receiver-w-telemetry.html

FrSky telemetry is a whole other topic. At its simplest it will give you audible warnings about signal strength and battery voltage.
You can add an external LCD screen to get real time readout of same.
Add a hub and sensiors in the model and you can get altitude, airspeed, RPM, current, GPS data, etc.

And there are versions of the ER9X firmware that will display all this on the transmitter, and with some (not so minor) modifications give you spoken feedback.

9x with er9x-frsky and voice. It's getting better and better.. ;-)

sihinch

Do you have to modify the antenna connector, Pat? It looks like the FrSky module has the antenna socket in the wrong place to be compatible with the 9XR casing/socket location.

Thanks for all the help.

Simon

pmackenzie

Right now there is nothing available that will fit the 9XR and use the inbuilt antenna.
HK have not released the module they must have designed for this, possibly because for the DSMX issue I mentioned earlier.

The FrSky antenna is on the back of the module, so it won't use the one built into the handle of the 9XR.

The whole point of a module based system is to let the end user choose the RF system they want to use.

sihinch

Well, I ordered one, with FrSky telemetry module and receiver. I also got in touch with HK about a lipo and they will be releasing one specially for the 9XR, so I'm gonna wait for that.

Looking forward to learning how to use it.

S

pmackenzie

Once you get it if you have any questions about the programming let me know.

As I said before it is quite different than a "conventional" radio.

You get to figure out how to do something, instead of trying to figure out what some programmer wanted you to do.
And it will do almost anything you would ever want. A guy even programmed it to make a robot dog walk.
All the motion sequence is done in the transmitter with the regular programming. Try that with any other radio.

Flysky 9X ER9x Quadriped with Hips

Practical applications would be things like landing gear door sequencing.

sihinch

Thanks for all your help, Pat. And the kind offer to help when I get it.

Cheers
Simon