Skill Improver?

Started by sihinch, March 12, 2013, 08:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I was pondering this morning, as we approach the race season and need to develop pylon flying skills, how skills are built.  And a question popped in my mind.....about which plane have I learnt most from.

So, today's fun question - which plane taught you the most about flying?

Gregor77

Easiest: Parkzone T-28.

Most Difficult: HK DR-1 EPO and GP DR-1.

The most challanging is the fact that most of us have a hard time with rudder.  Mini Mag was great for forcing you to use it.

Ededge2002

I can't put one plane in the spotlight. I can say though that learning to fly different styles of planes has helped me. Another key thing I contribute improving to would be the advancements in radio technology and learning to put it to use.  Modern radios can make a tough to fly plane a ***** cat.  The final thing I think helps me is pushing myself. Try not to just fly, challenge yourself!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Good question,

The Eflite Apprentice taught me a lot. And so I'm guessing it earns a spot on the list.

As for challenging. The LR-1A Pogo was probably my most challenging. Not so much for it's performance in the air. But it's manners in both take-offs and landings were unpleasant on the best of days. It taught me how to use rudder to counter torque and how to side slip to burn off excess speed on approach. It also taught me how to repair balsa models after some of my learning experiences.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

- "which plane taught you the most about flying?"

All 120 plus planes I have built and flown have taught me a lot, including the type of flying I like.  The great planes taught me to appreciate precise flying (Chillie Breeze,E-Flite Beaver, Taylorcraft 450, Nooner).  The squirrely ones taught me to react quickly (Rifle, Micro Pitts, P-51, Mini-Tarka), the ones that were awful (some of my own designs) taught me to appreciate the good airplanes and the ones I crashed taught me to be humble. :P

If you want to improve your flying quickly, try instructing.  It requires you to think ahead, cover the downside risk and react quickly... all while trying to look cool to cover up the brown stripe down your back end.  ;D

"never let them see you sweat" 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"