Field Boxes and Carrying Equipment

Started by Gregor77, March 13, 2013, 08:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

What is everyone using to get their tools and stuff to the field.   The plastic bag route is not working for me.  I just grabbed a husky tool box from HD and it seems to do the trick.

sihinch

I use the good old TEMAC lunch box!

But I really should get a proper tool box.  And a transmitter carry case - I'm fed up of it getting knocked.

Gregor77

The issue that I find with a hard case box is that it can also damage the planes in transit.  Plus with limited carrying capacity it becomes a bit of an issue.

Once this blasted snow goes, I can just set up the temac hauler to store all the stuff.  Issue resolved.

battlestu

the milk crate has served me well
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

I'm still trying to find my best set-up, but the "system" I have now is getting close.

I have a transmitter case that just holds the Tx and it's charger

I have another aluminum suitcase that houses my flight battery chargers

I have a two layer tool box with small compartments on top to hold my basic field tools and plane assembly hardware (each plane has it's own small comparment for it's hardware in the top level. see picture below.

I use other hardware sorting trays (that carry like a suitcase) for my flight batteries, but I'd like a better solution

And when travelling for a weekend fun fly I take a larger tool box with repair items like epoxy, CA, hot glue gun covering iron, soldering iron, covering scraps, small hardware organizer, small saw, spare ply and balsa, etc, etc.  Basically a mini workshop.

And then there's the deep cycle batteries and their charger.

And then there's the shade canopies, chair, drop sheets, Coke, sun sceen, hat, etc. etc.

Oh, and then there's the camping stuff.

And for a visit to the take... well that's a whole other set of equipment like boat seats and floor, motor, oar, life jacket, rubber boots, weed rake, etc.

Oh, and don't forget to bring some planes!

Sorry... got a bit off topic...

I keep the planes and the tool boxes separated within the vehicle.  For just a day at the field, I put the tool boxes, etc in the front seat area, some on the floor, some on the seat.  The planes go in the back seat area and in my pickup box and/or trailer.

thehaze

I'll second the milk crate field box. Cheap, easy to build and it holds everything I need for a day at the field.

Surplus ammo boxes are great for lipos as well.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Bobmic

Years ago when I needed a started, pump etc I modified a toolbox with the metal sidings to accommodate everything but since I started with electric planes my goal was to keep things light...
So for now I have a slightly modded CD box (looks like a metal box from outside) from factory direct which holds my receiver telemetry and a small plastic parts box.
I carry the batteries in a lunch box ......I know...I know that this is not a fire proof solution ... but it simple light and can keep the batteries at a relatively safe temperature anyhow the lunchbox  has a couple of small compartments in which I put some charge cables, adapters and battery tester.
The only tools I take with me are a screwdriver with multiple tip, a hobby knife, tweezers and sometime a long needle pliers.
I camera bag will work great ..but I really like my camera so I will leave the batteries in the lunch box for now.
For next year I bought the Turnigy Tx shell from HK and also bought a circular saw bag from Princes Auto ($25) which has quite a bit of room and a few pockets with zippers so I am planning to put everything in one soft bag that has a strap and keep things organized (I was looking at tackle bags at first but the ones I like were quite expensive)