Plane storage / shop question

Started by Bobmic, March 17, 2013, 12:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Was wandering if I can get some opinion on possible storage. Since my garage space is limited and I am running things quite tight now I was thinking to buy a shed for the backyard and store the planes in it. I am considering a large plastic shed (the one from Costco) not the wooden ones. The question is if it will be smart to keep planes in it. I am thinking of humidity and temperature effects of keeping them in a shed (maybe buy some pink insulation and somehow cover the walls from inside).
Any ideas if I will end up damaging the planes or electrical components?

Thx,
Bobby

Frank v B

Bobby,

I have built quite a few sheds when I was doing insurance claims (have built about 50 of them).  Three things:
- plastic is better than wood (needs maintenance like paint) or metal (not very strong, rusts).
- spend the extra money if the floor kit is separate.  Worth it.  Keeps out animals.
- success is totally dependent on the prep work you do on the ground before you install it (level, gravel, patio stones).

Airplane storage:
- maximize indoor storage first.  i keep 40 planes in two cupboards 2' x2' x 7' high.  I have 20 hooks in the ceiling and hang them by looped ropes around the tail feathers.  One cupboard has 2 shelves for the tiny indoor planes.  20 hooks are on the bottom of the bottom shelf about 4' off the ground from which I hang smaller fuselages.  Wings stand up on the ground all nested in the same orientation.
- I would store fuselages inside and ship wings to the shed first.  This way you can work on them the night before flying and the electronics stay warm.
- an outside shed, insulated or not, will be the same temperature as the outside air if there is no heat source inside.
- insulating the inside will not make it any warmer than the outside air without a heat source.
- I would make sure there is ventilation to let the inside be the same temperature as the outside so moisture doesn't condense and affect the model stuff.  Condensation only happens when there is a temperature differential between the outside air and the air inside the shed.
- pick a lighter colour if there is a choice because it would roast in the summer if it has a dark outside or roof.  The wing coverings will sag and the fuselage covering will bubble.

Main message.  Think twice, maximize your inside storage first.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Bobmic

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the advice, for now I have all my planes hanging upside down on the ceiling but since I am using the garage I can not realy use all available space.
As for the shed option the summer baking issue is one of the major concerns and I agree that there is nothing I can do about it. I will have to see where I place the the P40 and the Scimitar, will require some creative planning.