Scratch Building Class - Norseman Build

Started by piker, March 21, 2013, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

looks great can't wait to see the flight report
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Frank v B

Jack's Norseman's Maiden Flight:

- flew the plane twice today at the Bramal-E-Fly and it flew fine.
- the .46 has enough power to fly it.  Will try to prop it up a bit to get 5% more power to give it more climbing authority.
- needed a lot of left aileron correction (ran out of trim) for hands off flight.  Jack will remove some of the right thrust.  That should fix it.
- taxi control, rudder authority, elevator authority were just fine.
- needs rudder input to make a proper aileron turn.  Flies a bit like a Cub.
- landing control is fine, slow speed control is fine, greased landings are easy.
- very visible in the sky with the yellow colour.

Great build Jack.  Thanks for trusting your plane to a Dutchman.  Phew.... since it is still in one piece. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Congratulations, Jack, for completing your Norseman so nicely and for a successful set of test flights!!!

It'll be a nice plane to have in your fleet.  A model that you'll be more emotionally attached to and one that you'll get much pleasure from while flying and showing off. 

Robert

Michael

Jack's Noresman flew again.

Jack made a few changes, and added a bigger prop.

I flew a bit, takeoff, trimming and landing, and Jack did the cruising circuits.

The plane needed some trim but was flying straight and level within one circuit, had much better power with the new prop, and was able to fly considerably slower than the maiden flight.

Essentially, this is a very stable plane, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them at the field.

Michael

sihinch

Papa

Thank you all, now I can resume the twin Build.

Jack.

PS. I really want to see all the others finished including yours Frank!

J.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

eric

Norseman # 2 is alive!!

I held a few "burning the midnight oil sessions" and got my Norseman to the flying stage. The graphics will have to wait as I've run out of time and have committed to other projects for a while, so there will be no pictures posted until she's all decked out real purdy like. Left to do: side windows & door outlines, tail striping, leading edge trim and registration numbers.

Ken Coleman talked me into putting a maiden flight on her tonight at 8:30. A light breeze and no one around - wonderful just in case it decided to die instead of fly. It taxied perfectly, literally jumped off the ground and, after a few clicks of up and left trim, she was hands off with cruising speed at half throttle. As with Jack's model, it was nose heavy at the indicated C of G, so I moved the battery back an inch and it was much better. I managed 3 take offs and landings and the handling was superb, but, as mentioned by Jack, it does need coordinated rudder for scale turns. Its a lot faster than I think it should be, so I'll keep moving the C of G back until she gets squirrelly.

Numbers: Turnigy G46, Talon 90 amp speed control with heavy duty BEC (9 amps continuous, 20 amp peak), 5,000 mah Nano Tech 4 cell. Spinning an APC 13x8 prop I'm getting 630 watts @ 48amps. With a flying weight (including the 1lb. 4 oz. lipo) of 6 lbs. 8 oz., its running 97 watts/lb.

I have to thank Ken for his invaluable help with some (well, a lot actually) of the details I was confused about. This is a builder's kit and was a real challenge for a first time newbie builder like me, but I'm really happy with the outcome. Cudos to Jack, Frank and all involved for a worthwhile and satisfying project.

Eric

Ededge2002

Great Job Eric and congrats to you and the build crew.  This is a great representation of the club.  Good job guys!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

Congratulations Eric, I'm glad you got your Norseman airborne. I know I speak for Frank when I say how pleasing it is to see the results of a lot of hard work and a huge amount of fun. You guys made it such a great experience.

Now the rest of you need to finish so I'm setting a new deadline. How about we aim to have all maidened by the Annual Fun Fly at the end of August. Are you up to it?

Jack.

PS that also means you Frank.

J.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Congratulations Eric! Another success and great achievement.

I can't wait to see your model.

Simon

Michael

Fantastic!

Even though we're in the middle of flying season, I'm excited to build (not assemble) another balsa kit next winter.
Michael

Wingnutz

Eric,
Congrats on a successful maiden! Glad it went well.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

I am feeling the pressure!   :(

So you want my Norseman flying by the TEMAC funfly.  Good objective.

Just remember Jack, I work 6 days a week.  Your definition of "work" is significantly different from mine. ;D.  I know, you have earned it.  I am still working towards "Freedom 95" 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

My definition of work is much more similar to Jack's than Frank's , so
I will try to get my Norseman done for the 25th too. Let me see, where did I put that old OS Max 60 anyway? Just kidding!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

Congratulations to Jack on his first solo flight with his Norseman.

A great flight!
Michael