Going FASST!

Started by Ededge2002, April 03, 2013, 04:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

I have bought a new(to me) radio and Plan to go to FASST this season.  I have had great results with 72 and Spectrum but as my planes have become more powerful I want to take the best action available in the mind of safety.  The FASST system is what is recomended to be used in high power/high carbon airframes.  I do plan on using some of the FrSky compatable Rx's in some of my more generic airplanes.  I will need more than 10 recievers and cost out weighs the good reviews that the FrSky is getting.  The radio I will be using is the T10CAG. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sts41

We can trade info on the HK receivers....I need to buy a smaller one for the P51, the one I got is a bit big, but as far as performance...they look good.

Steve

bfeist

Oh no, you won't be able to teach me how to program my 9C anymore.

Ededge2002

Actually Ben the programing is very similar. You can even move stuff with the campac module between the two radios!!   

Ededge2002

Hit a snag last night..
Previously I tested the data transfer from 9C to 10C.  All looked great oh what a pain that will save I thought.  So i moved everything over last night and cleared/packaged my 9C up for shipping.  When i went back to examine the models in the radio all the expo, dual rates, end point setings are there.  But NONE of the mixes and or programs have made the trip!  Sure for normal planes this will be fine but the planes that I had programed coupling mixes, flap trim settings, landing and launch modes are all gone!!   

Beep Beep beeeeeeep Beep    Beeeeeep.

Oh that wasnt swearing that was the sound of programing more than 10 models worth of crap into the radio

Ededge2002

First two flights on the books!  Flew my old Formosa same throws/expo settings from previous
Initial impression
Very smooth I swear there is a noticeable gain in both speed and precision.  I have a ton of time on this airplane and I'm quite pleased and impressed with the difference.
Receiver was FrSky TFR6 Fasst comparable.

sts41

Good news... I will be using a few of those  ;D

Steve

Ededge2002

I just installed my first 7ms latency high speed  Fasst multi-channel mode receiver (yes I know lots of fancy words).
This mode is only to be used with digital servos as analog ones can not keep up with the data rate.

WOW! Do the surfaces ever JUMP when you touch the sticks!  The visual resolution of its movement is shocking. This is with digital servos running 6volts.

Receiver is : Corona R6FA

sts41

Ed... have you seen this one...:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk9410-14sg/index.html

I think I have found my new radio. Will have to wait until next year...But this has it all at a reasonable price...May even find a good second hand one by end of summer...Just need to convert my DM-8 so that I can use it with this radio.

Steve

Ededge2002

Quote from: sts41 on April 19, 2013, 10:48:34 AM
Ed... have you seen this one...:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk9410-14sg/index.html

I think I have found my new radio. Will have to wait until next year...But this has it all at a reasonable price...May even find a good second hand one by end of summer...Just need to convert my DM-8 so that I can use it with this radio.

Steve

Yes Steve that radio and the one I purchased were the two I had on my list. There features are similar and priced in the same range i believe.  The advantages of the 14 are in the flexibility and SD card but the radio felt funny in my hand. Sort of felt like I was driving a Saturn!

Bobmic

...the radio felt funny in my hand. Sort of felt like I was driving a Saturn!

As opposed to ...?
A roadster Tesla, Ferrari etc or as opposed to Turnigy??

Ededge2002

The 10c has a bigger screen. Is campac module not SD card memory.  And is a more conventional shape. 

Bobmic

Quote from: Ededge2002 on April 19, 2013, 02:44:18 PM
The 10c has a bigger screen. Is campac module not SD card memory.  And is a more conventional shape.

I like the module option - mainly for the possibility to use FrySky with all their telemetry etc. but I thought you once mentioned that the non module Transmitters are more reliable.

Ededge2002

The module in it is for model memory not transmission.  Campac  is Futaba's little cartridge style memory card.

sts41

I had ordered an Ultra Campac....Works great. That gives me a max of 32 models. I will check out both models this summer...The 14 has the Fasstest feature with a nice cheap SD card, but the sensors for the telemetry are pretty expensive. The 10 can support modules.

I will do a bunch more reading...

Steve