Tony Nijhuis 28” Jet Provost EDF

Started by sihinch, January 01, 2021, 02:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Well, it was nice to fly a little today and chat with a few friends. After getting home, thinking about my conversations about winter projects, I have decided on my next build.....

I recently refreshed my workshop (new floor and workbench foam topper) and it's now ready to create.

I will be building (from plans!!!) a 28" wingspan Jey Provost for 50mm EDF. Photos are from Tony Nijhuis Designs website and show the finished wood model and a covered ready-to-fly example.

I am merely at the wood cutting stage!

davidk

Soooo tidy... I'm inspired.  Time to clean up.  That's going to be an excellent Jet.

sihinch

1st thing I do when I get a plan to build from is get a copy done at Staples. Fortunately, I've had this plan for a while so I already had my copy.

I like to use the copy to make templates for all the pieces, plus it saves the original plan as a build guide and keeps it in case I want to build another one.

So, yesterday, the templates were cut! We're off.

I've also got in the habit of buying a plastic kit of the model I'm building. I find this useful to translate the curves and angles from the plan to 3D. It really does help with sanding and shaping. It wont be a Cadez/Hazelton/Maas build, just lef unpainted to see the shape.

electroflyer

Simon,

That looks like a great project! Might I suggest you check Banggood for a fan unit if you do not already have one. They sell a beautiful FMS Whisper quiet fan and motor combo in both 3S and 4s versions.
https://www.banggood.com/FMS-50mm-11-Blades-Ducted-Fan-EDF-With-2627-KV4500-KV5400-3S-4S-Brushless-Motor-p-1115809.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search&ID=518005

Glenn

Andy Hoffer

OMG @sihinch !  How can you concentrate on the build without the cerebral stimulation of inspirational clutter?!  I hope you took a reference photo  (for medicinal purposes) of what was there before you did the clean up!

I dare not let Mita see this!!  ;D

Andy

sihinch

Actually Glenn, I just ordered one! I went 3S to keep it fairly light. Hopefully it will still be lively.

I cut the 6 pieces of the wing - it's just 1/4" sheet. Joined the front and back pieces, and then added the shaped wing tips. Next I carved and sanded the profile and joined them with a 3mm ply dihedral brace.

So the wings are done! Just need to cut the ailerons.

sihinch

More progress last night. Fuselage sides, horizontal stabilizer and exhaust fairing cut. Air intake holes cut in the sides for the EDF.

And little airfix model assembled (except canopy!)

sihinch

It was back to work this week for me, so not as much time to build.

I managed to add the triangle stock to the fuselage sides, now ready for the formers (which still need to be cut.)

The plan calls for 6mm lite ply for the main former, which I don't have! I have some 4.8mm birch ply and some 3mm "nominal" craft plywood. Any advice if these would work instead?

sihinch

What a day! 3 great results!

This morning, I found that Great Hobbies had the correct ply in stock. So a quick web order at 9am and I was over there by 11 for a curbside pickup!

Then, Les and I went for a gorgeous winter hike in Eldred King Forest (we drove past TEMAC and saw Glenn and Michael there!)  8)

And then this evening I spent an hour and a half cutting the 3 formers for the fuselage. This means when I wake up early tomorrow I can glue them in before I take Les her cup of tea!  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on January 09, 2021, 08:48:18 PM
What a day! 3 great results!

This morning, I found that Great Hobbies had the correct ply in stock. So a quick web order at 9am and I was over there by 11 for a curbside pickup!

Then, Les and I went for a gorgeous winter hike in Eldred King Forest (we drove past TEMAC and saw Glenn and Michael there!)  8)

And then this evening I spent an hour and a half cutting the 3 formers for the fuselage. This means when I wake up early tomorrow I can glue them in before I take Les her cup of tea!  ;D

How convenient!!!  8)

Andy

sihinch

Well I'm happy with that! Using my school set-square and protractor set, I think this is the most "square and true" fuselage alive ever built!

Main formers in and a test fit of the wing.

Andy Hoffer

Looking good @sihinch !

That's amazing how your fuselage sticks to the wall like that!   ;D

(Photo# 2FB6174D-0CA6-4C7E-BC38-C949E0F5DD86.jpeg)

Andy

sihinch

A little bit of progress during the week...

Made a thrust tube, cut the tail feathers and stuck the front fuselage section on, ready to start building the nose.

I also added a little extra reinforcement that wasn't on the plan because the sides by the air intakes seemed a bit weak.

sihinch

I thought I was blocked from making more progress this weekend because I didn't think I had any micro control rods and I was going to use an FMS fan.

Anyway, I found some rods and decided to use my old "Don's Wicked Fan" Wemo Tech fan. It uses just over 325 watts and also has a 5400kV motor so is probably similar in output thrust.

So I've been able to mount the fan, add the elevator control rods and more progress with the nose, including some shaping (using the handy template.)

Next up will be top and bottom sheeting and more shaping (rounding) of the fuselage.

sihinch

Here's the fuselage shape template....