EDF Twin Rudder Experiment

Started by GuyOReilly, August 01, 2021, 04:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

What is a guy ( or Guy) supposed to do on a rainy Long-Weekend Sunday: but a Twin rudder EDF plane of course!!   ;D
The wing was from a foam kit, the fuselage fro 1/4 square pieces of hardwood.
Elevator, stab, fins and rudders are the same size as that of my Lancaster project.
One servo controls both rudders, as you can see in the video.
My guess is that given the complexity of the set-up and weight required, that might not be incorporated in the Lancaster.  Only thing that could change my mind would be added directional control. ::)
Power plant is a 3300 kv ducted fan, 80 amps ESC.  Hopefully enough power for that model.   ???
Photo 8009 - The frame with the wing.
Photo 8010 - The parts for the empennage
Photo 8011 - Close-up of the rudder hinges; they have a pin and I do not like the gap, but I will live with it for now.
Photo 8012 - Glueing the fins to the stab. all is square and No @Andy Hoffer the bolts are not part of the structure.  ;)
Photo 8013 - The angle irons ensure all is held at 90 degrees.
Video of the working mechanism :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEWS2_-RTk

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on August 01, 2021, 04:53:54 PM
What is a guy ( or Guy) supposed to do on a rainy Long-Weekend Sunday: but a Twin rudder EDF plane of course!!   ;D
The wing was from a foam kit, the fuselage fro 1/4 square pieces of hardwood.
Elevator, stab, fins and rudders are the same size as that of my Lancaster project.
One servo controls both rudders, as you can see in the video.
My guess is that given the complexity of the set-up and weight required, that might not be incorporated in the Lancaster.  Only thing that could change my mind would be added directional control. ::)
Power plant is a 3300 kv ducted fan, 80 amps ESC.  Hopefully enough power for that model.   ???
Photo 8009 - The frame with the wing.
Photo 8010 - The parts for the empennage
Photo 8011 - Close-up of the rudder hinges; they have a pin and I do not like the gap, but I will live with it for now.
Photo 8012 - Glueing the fins to the stab. all is square and No @Andy Hoffer the bolts are not part of the structure. ;)
Photo 8013 - The angle irons ensure all is held at 90 degrees.
Video of the working mechanism :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEWS2_-RTk

I recognized them as dental implants for an elephant!  ;D
Looks like a great Sunday project @GuyOReilly .
You may want to reinforce the joints between the fins and the vertical stab.  The fins appear to be bending laterally when the rudders are actuated.

Andy

GuyOReilly

The ducted fan is not ready...  So, I decided to use this as a test bed for the rudder and motors to be used in the Lancaster.
However, only 3 ESCs were available at this time, hence the tri-motor test run installation.
I do not know if these motors are too small for the model, my guess is they are...
The model weighs in at 4 pounds.  And it does not have all the structure of the Lancaster, the end would be closer to 6 pounds.
The cabling used is what I had tested previously and works fine, although that is some rat's nest of wires up front.
Maiden, provided it does ROG, will be as soon as I can free myself from other tasks and duties.