NX10

Started by Oscar, February 08, 2021, 07:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Last year, I ordered the NX10.  It finally arrived.
Compare with DX9, the NX10 feels lighter.  The Hall effort sensor Gimbal surely feels very different. 
The layout is the same with DX9. 
The antenna can now fold down.  I am told the antenna position is different.  Although both have 2 antenna.  In DX9, one position at the handle.  For NX10, its at the front of the name plate.  The reason behind is most pilot hold the radio down when flying, so it weakens the signal.  With the another antenna at the front plate, its always pointing up.
Other feature I found so far, the color can change.  Also, the voice can change to other language like French / Spanish / Italian / German / Dutch (?)

The version that comes with NX10 has a WiFi bug.  So I did the registration and install the Dec firmware (v3.0.3) via wired.  Once its updated, you can then setup the Wifi.  (Do not use WiFi to register your product, it will lock up)

Oscar

DX9 vs NX10

Powering up comparison
https://youtu.be/HhBldGEHq0M

Switch model comparison
https://youtu.be/Bw-HBOlM1tM

Power down comparison
https://youtu.be/9l9WoLHqWmo

davidk

Thanks for the hands-on, Oscar.

davidk

Here's a bit more info about the NX10, not as a radio, but as a product.

The charging cable is USB only and needs a 2-3A USB port.  A wall plug is not included.
Now, I for one, have probably lost more than a few USB wall plugs, but the ones I do have I use for the devices intended.  I'm always a bit suspect of using a wall plug on a device it was not intended for.  I have, but it always comes with a "you get what you ask for" feeling.  I don't want my transmitter sitting on my desk plugged into my PC, so I'll have to use one of the Apple wall plugs I have.

On the plus side, most of us have a car with a USB port.  Charging your Transmitter is now simple from your car.  As well, many portable LiPo battery chargers have a USB Charging Port.  I wonder if you could use a 3S Lipo to charge your Transmitter??

The charging port on the NX10 is a magnetic Micro USB port.  This is nice, as you won't tear the transmitter apart if the power cord gets tugged... it will just separate from the port.  Don't loose that tiny little Micro USB piece.  If you want to keep the magnetic Micro USB plug with the charging cable then you might want to get a Micro USB Port cover - not included.  It's just a little plastic cover so I'm going to print some.  If anyone wants one, let me know.

The SD Card slot has been replace by an amazingly stupid Micro SD Card slot.  This can only be the type of change designed to get rid of the slot altogether.  Spektrum holds itself as a leader in technology but forces you to use a technology that is 16 years old and that very few people will have.  I have a 64Gb Micro SD card that is about 5 years old.  I've never found anything it won't work with.  It won't work in the NX10.  A call to Horizon, normally on top of their game, resulted in a confirmation that the NX10 may have trouble using anything but an 8Gb or smaller card... NOT INCLUDED.

When I suggested to Horizon that going to the dump to find a 16 year old Micro SD Card wasn't top of my to do list, he sent me a link to... wait for it... an 8Gb SD Card.  When I pointed out the link was not for a Micro SD Card he tried his best to convince me that the speed of the card and the class of the card determined it was Micro SD.  I hung up... shaking my head.

Now... do you need an Micro SD Card?  No.  Can you get an 8Gb Micro SD Card?  Probably.  Not from Best Buy or Canada Computers.  Amazon.ca has one.  If you needed one to transfer models you'd then have to wait.

Again, you don't need one... so why include a crippled Micro SD Card slot???  I don't know, and I'm shaking my head.

The NX10 has WiFi capability so you use that to register and update.  I'd prefer not to rely on WiFi for a firmware update... I'm a bit old school.  But, the WiFi functionality does work, and works well.

The NX10 has a USB Connection (as we've seen for charging) but it also uses USB to access it Internal Storage.  Connect the USB cable to your PC and NX10.  Through the NX10 system menu go to USB Storage, Access Internal Storage, and your PC will "ding".  Your NX10 show shows as a drive on your PC.  Now you can copy your models to the NX10 Internal Storage.  Once copied, you can go the NX10 Import Models function and import from Internal Storage.

It's a head shaker, but it's possible and it works.

So, overall the NX10 is a good radio but with some questionable decisions.  For it's price, Spektrum should have included a wall plug and a USB Charge Port Dust Cap.  Further, don't bother including a Micro SD Card slot if you force the use of an almost impossible to get sized card.  I believe this is what Spektrum will do... eliminate the slot... and will point to it's dis-use as the reason... with it's dis-use mainly because it won't work with a current card.  The card slot is not needed so why include one you can't really use?