*****CANCELLED***** New Year's Day flying Jan. 1, 2021- 10 am.

Started by Frank v B, December 18, 2020, 06:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I will be at Rogo Field on New Year's day, Jan. 1, 2021 at 10 am.

It may be the shortest flight if it is really cold but I have to continue a 33 year tradition.  I have flown every New Year's day....without fail..... since I learned how to fly RC.

This is not an official TEMAC function.  It is a personal mission. 
No meeting at Tim's.  No Timbits involved.

If you want to join, please maintain distance for yourself and your car, wear a mask along with your winter gear and bring your sense of humour*.

Frank

* Andy, if you can find it by then.  ;D ;D  Maybe ask for it for Christmas.

Guys,

UPDATE: I will not be coming to the field for New Year's Day because of the latest lockdown orders. If I can't explain to my wife why I drove for 40 minutes to go flying for 5 minutes during a lockdown, I sure as heck cannot explain it to the membership or the OPP officer who stpped me on the 404.  There is a fine line between commitment and insanity.

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Looking forward to a nice brisk sunny winter day, hopefully with fresh snow, on Jan 1.  But 10:00 a.m. ???

As for sense of humour, I have always found that my collection of Phrank Photos provides endless laughs for me.

Thanks @Frank v B:D

Andy

Frank v B

re: Andy's  "....But 10:00 a.m. ???"

You prefer to get up at the crack of noon!

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 19, 2020, 08:00:23 PM
re: Andy's  "....But 10:00 a.m. ???"

You prefer to get up at the crack of noon!

Frank

Normally in the interests of team spirit I would go along with @Frank v B's insane starting time, but as a token of my great appreciation for the limitless Phrank Photo opportunities which Frank provides, I will come at noon to give Frank TWO Hoffer-free hours to start his year off right!   8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

There is a brief window of irresistible bone-chilling opportunity this morning.  I think I will go out and commune with the specter of @Frank v B-enstein before the freezing rain arrives!  8)

Andy

bfeist

I'm in town for the first time ever and slept through the frozen finger funfly tradition :/  Seeing that it was cancelled make complete sense anyway.

Frank v B

Well, I flew today.  Dropped by the local Loblaws in the abandoned parking lot.

Flew the Guillows Arrow which was my Covid Build earlier this year.  It was a 2 minute flight and its maiden as well.  It flew majestically, never beyond 1/3 throttle even.  Very controllable with rudder, elevator and throttle only (no ailerons).

It started at home with a mishap.  Charged the 2 cell, 200 mah E-Flite battery.  When I installed it in the plane, one of the leads came off.  Back to micro-soldering with the magnifying glass again.  Cut off the covering, removed the tape and soldered both leads back on.  The drop on the parchment paper to the right is soldering flux.  I dip the wire into it before soldering.

Frank

ps: I tied to take a photo in flight but the winds were so swirly I could not fly and photograph at the same time.  I know.  Oscar does it all the time.... but then, Oscar can walk on water too! ;)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 01, 2021, 02:36:19 PM
Well, I flew today.  Dropped by the local Loblaws in the abandoned parking lot.

Flew the Guillows Arrow which was my Covid Build earlier this year.  It was a 2 minute flight and its maiden as well.  It flew majestically, never beyond 1/3 throttle even.  Very controllable with rudder, elevator and throttle only (no ailerons).

It started at home with a mishap.  Charged the 2 cell, 200 mah E-Flite battery.  When I installed it in the plane, one of the leads came off. Back to micro-soldering with the magnifying glass again.  Cut off the covering, removed the tape and soldered both leads back on.  The drop on the parchment paper to the right is soldering flux.  I dip the wire into it before soldering.

Frank

ps: I tied to take a photo in flight but the winds were so swirly I could not fly and photograph at the same time.  I know.  Oscar does it all the time.... but then, Oscar can walk on water too! ;)

I am coming to understand the depth of @Frank v B 's profound contempt for electronics (https://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=7745.msg52608#msg52608) !!  ;D

Andy