Ryerson flying Sat Feb 27- done!

Started by Frank v B, February 27, 2016, 02:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Yes, we were there despite the dire gust warnings from Andy, our club forecasting Rodent (groundhog 8)). 
Three students showed up and had two flights each.  Alex connected two take-offs and landings so he is getting ready to solo. 
The temperature was plus 4 (per forecast) and wind was from our backs (where else?) at 15 gusting to 25. 
It made for some great rotors off the trees.  No other TEMAC members showed up.  Smart guys! Smarter than me! :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Bravo to Frank and the Ryerson gang!  You should know that the "15 gusting 25" were knots (, so that's about 27 gusting 45 kmh).  They wouldn't even let me fly out of Buttonville this afternoon!

if they can fly in this, they can fly in anything!

Andy

Frank v B

re: Andy's "They wouldn't even let me fly out of Buttonville this afternoon! "

I am sure Buttonville's concern had little to do with the wind! ;)

re: "if they can fly in this, they can fly in anything!"

Absolutely!  They did well.  There were times the plane got tossed up or down 10 feet.  Still a very flyable day. 

Frank

ps: not a scratch on the airplane, not a nick on the prop despite the blustery conditions.  Yes Andy, pure luck! :D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 27, 2016, 04:47:50 PM
re: Andy's "They wouldn't even let me fly out of Buttonville this afternoon! "

I am sure Buttonville's concern had little to do with the wind! ;)

re: "if they can fly in this, they can fly in anything!"

Absolutely!  They did well.  There were times they plane got tossed up or down 10 feet.  Still a very flyable day. 

Frank

ps: not a scratch on the airplane, not a nick on the prop despite the blustery conditions.  Yes Andy, pure luck! :D

The trick is that standard met observations are at 10 metres AGL.  Eternal optimists at TEMAC know that there is a dead zone with calm winds just below that (although it's sometimes buried in the grass), notwithstanding the occasional ill-mannered eddy in the wake of the trees , which can extend 10 tree heights downwind!!  8)  Way to go Frank!

Andy

thehaze

Wow, kudos to you guys. The way the wind was today did you have to throw blankets on the models so they wouldn't take off just sitting on the ground?

Imagine when these guys get a chance to fly in calm air? They're either going to be really bored. Or they're going to be so used to compensating for wind that they are going to be all over the place...
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Zarana

It was actually fun today! We all enjoyed the flying!

Frank v B

Mike:
re: "so they wouldn't take off just sitting on the ground?"

What take-off roll? ;D

Did two cross-runway landings into the wind (from west) and had plenty of runway left. 8)

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 27, 2016, 10:54:21 PM
Mike:

What take-off roll? ;D

Did two cross-runway landings into the wind (from west) and had plenty of runway left. 8)

Frank

When do they get to do cross-wind landings along the runway?  ;D

sihinch

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 28, 2016, 12:55:22 PM
Quote from: Frank v B on February 27, 2016, 10:54:21 PM
Mike:

What take-off roll? ;D

Frank

When do they get to do cross-wind landings along the runway?  ;D

As soon as Frank learns how to do it!  ;D

Frank v B

Simon,

re: "As soon as Frank learns how to do it!  ;D"

I have signed up for remedial flight instruction seminars.  As punishment, my instructor will be Andy. 8)

Frank