2020-2021 Buildclass model suggestion; build and discussion

Started by Michael, February 17, 2020, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Where do you buy your small hex screws from?

Michael

Quote from: sihinch on February 23, 2020, 04:54:12 PM
Where do you buy your small hex screws from?

A+J's, and at the Aurora Swap meet - there's usually a guy with these screws (large quantity and low price), who also has all the servo wire extensions and stuff.
Michael

Michael

Basic construction is done. Total weight (without the motor) is 201 grams (7 ounces). I estimate finished weight at 2 to 2½ times that.

The 2 main jobs ahead are:

1. radio (servos, receiver, wires) and control (pushrods, control horns, etc.) installation,

and

2. Covering.

The covering is next in the instructions, but I'll do the radio installation before the covering.

An overall light sanding and cleaning of the work bench first, though.

Pushrods are not included in the kit. I'll stop by a hobby shop tomorrow to see what I can find.

Photo: Components (wings, fuselage, etc.) are not glued together yet.
Michael

davidk

Michael

Changed my mind; I started radio installation, but will cover the model before finishing the radio installation.

I read somewhere online an opinion that the wing joint is weak. Just in case, I glued in triangular pieces to strengthen that area, and I added more medium CA to the rear center joints and used CA 'accelerator' spray to harden and fill the tiny gaps (see photo). In any case, this is a small and light model that uses sub-micro servos. Other than being able to take off and land on various surfaces, the plane should be flown gently, like a glider or a trainer. If it's flown nicely, it should be fine; if it's flown like a pylon racer, it may break up in the air.

I bought Dubro micro E/Z links, micro pushrod system and more (much more than needed) CA hinge material; total under $20.

I installed servos in the fuselage (had to make the openings a bit bigger to fit my servos), test fit servos for the wings (made the opening for the servo arm a bit wider), and installed thread to pull the servo wires through the wing after it is covered.

If I haven't explained anything clearly or in enough detail, feel free to ask.

Michael

Michael

Covering the model.

Main items/tools needed are:

1. special iron for covering model airplanes. Available at most hobby stores.
2. plastic covering. One side has adhesive that activates as it is heated (ironed down). The covering also shrinks as it is heated.
3. sharp X-acto blade/knife.

I will be mindful of 2 things as I cover this model:

1. It is a light model, so I will be careful not to shrink the covering too much that it might crush or break the structure, but just enough to eliminate wrinkles and to look good and smooth.
2. I will apply the covering so that any overlap faces the rear of the model. This is to prevent the covering from accidentally pealing off (from friction against water, grass, air, ...), and perhaps letting water get underneath. See the diagram below.

I may paint the tip-floats and the motor pod.

Ask any questions if needed.

Michael

Michael

Bottom right wing panel covered. I'm using white Monocote.

Michael

Michael

If you've never covered a model with plastic covering, watch this, or find other videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LuIcwOjkN4

Michael

Michael

I won't be going over the complete covering and all techniques, but I will highlight a few things I do, and will post my overall covering progress.

Before continuing to cover any large surfaces, I decided to cover some of the smaller areas that might be problematic later.

I will have to cut the openings for the hinges, using the (hinge locations in the) ailerons as a guide, before the ailerons are covered. Once the ailerons are covered, I'll use the cuts I make in the wing to cut the slots in the ailerons. I'll detail this later when I get to it.

Michael

VadimKirillov

Guys, guess what I got here?  Yes I'm joining this build thread and let's make a dragon fleet.

bweaver

Quote from: VadimKirillov on February 25, 2020, 03:18:00 PM
Guys, guess what I got here?  Yes I'm joining this build thread and let's make a dragon fleet.

OK, I give up.  Besides a role of Monocote, what did you get?  ???  Is there something in that box? 

Wait!  Don't spoil it for me.

I will continue to follow this thread to see.  Are you going to turn some more wood into something that will float and fly?  :-\

Michael

Basic covering is complete. I'll use some red and black trim to decorate, and I'm planning on sealing (water-proofing) and paintings the tip floats and motor pylon. The components are still not glued together.

It's important to overlap the covering joints to properly waterproof the model.

The covering job took several hours.

This might be a good time to remind potential builders that building a model costs more than buying a comparable ARF. The point of building is to have fun, and to enjoy another aspect of the hobby. It's not for everyone, but many really do enjoy it.

Michael

Michael

Quote from: VadimKirillov on February 25, 2020, 03:18:00 PM

Great!
Michael

VadimKirillov

Work surfaces are ready. As before I mount drawings on foam board and cover with window insulating film that I tape at the back and heat shrink for a nice glossy smooth finish. 

Michael

Now we can watch Vadim's model take shape.  ;D

Every builder has their own techniques, so while most of the construction should be similar, it'll be interesting to watch for differences.
Michael