Swordfish build

Started by Canuke, October 23, 2014, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuke

This is my 1st scratch built winter project nearing completion (it's been crappy flying weather this Fall).  I'm waiting for Pinnacle to get me some proper size decals and pilots. The motor is off a crashed HK Funfighter, I believe a 2825-1950kv. I was going to use a 1300 3 cell battery. I have not been able to weigh it accurately yet but I think about 24 oz with motor and battery. I don't plan to fly it this Fall and have no idea about prop size etc. I am hoping to just be able to get the plane to do a few sedate circuits circuits. Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated. 

piker

Hey Jim,

The pictures are not very clear, but that looks like a heck of a first scratch build!  Congratulations!

I can't wait to see it flying!

Wingnutz

Jim,
I can't see your pictures. Any chance you could upload them again? Is it the WWII torpedo bomber?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

When I clicked on the picture names, they loaded onto my desk top, then I could open them.  They seem to be zip files.  Make sure you're uploading jpg's if possible, Jim.

It's the WWII Bipe.  Sweet!

sihinch

I think that if you want a sedate flier, and a biplane to boot, your motor kv is too high. 

The prop, even on 3S will have to be fairly small, something like a 6x4.  That would give you around 160watts, but a pitch speed of 65mph. A 7x3 prop will give you around 190watts with a pitch speed of 47mph, which might work.

I would aim for a lower kV motor, and bigger prop, like 8x3.8.  I'm thinking something around 1300-1400kV like a park 480.

What size is you model?  If it is 24oz, you only need about 150 watts, max.

Canuke

Thanks for the inputs. I'll see what other motors I have. I'm just used to buying and flying ready to fly models from HK etc. This is all new to me. Would a G10 be a better choice? I have 2 or 3 of them with different kv's?

sihinch

A G10 may be a bit big and heavy. How big is the model?

Canuke

36" wingspan (biplane) 26" long. Approx. 1.5 lbs (I don't have an accurate scale to weigh it).

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Canuke

Thanks Jack. I need some other things (I always do) from HK so this choice is a no brainer.